Associate Dean of Research, Office of Research
Inorganic Chemistry and Chemical Biology
B.S., Chemistry, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France, 1993
M.S., Chemistry, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France, 1994
D.E.A., Post-Master Degree, Inorganic Chemistry, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France, 1995
Ph.D., Coordination Chemistry,University of Lausanne, Switzerland, 2001
Teaching Post-doctoral Scholar, University of Minnesota Duluth, 2001-2004
- Designing, characterizing, and providing important specific information concerning the thermodynamic, structural, dynamic, spectroscopic, and chiroptical properties of luminescent lanthanide complexes with chiral ligands as potential probes of more complex molecules, e.g. biomolecules, for instance by preferential interaction with one enantiomer.
- Designing, synthesizing, and spectral characterization of chiral lanthanide complexes for applications as chiroptical probes.
- Studying of the solution structure of chiral lanthanide complexes by circularly polarized luminescence (CPL), a chiroptical technique.
- Lanthanide(III) luminescence as a probe of structures, dynamics, and excited state energetics of metal-containing biomolecular systems such as Ca(II)-binding proteins.
- Developing, maintaining, improving and using a chiroptical induced-CPL-based technique to determine the absolute configuration of simple chiral organic molecules.
Circularly Polarized Luminescence by Visible-Light Absorption in a Chiral O-BODIPY Dye: Unprecedented Design of CPL Organic Molecules From Achiral Chromophores, E. M. Sanchez-Carnerero, F. Moreno, B. L. Maroto, A. R. Agarrabeita, M. J. Ortiz, B. G. Vo, G. Muller, S. de la Moya, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2014, 136, 3346-3349.
Straightforward Access to Mono- and Bis-cycloplatinated Helicenes that Display Circularly Polarized Phosphorescence Using Crystallization Resolution Methods , C. Shen, E. Anger, M. Srebro, N. Vanthuyne, K. K. Deol, T. D. Jefferson Jr, G. Muller, J. A. G. Williams, L. Toupet, C. Roussel, J. Autschbach, R. Réau, J. Crassous, Chem. Sci., 2014, 5, 1915-1927.
Ligand Induced Diversification From Tetranuclear to Mononuclear Compounds: Syntheses, Structures and Magnetic Properties, L. Yang, S.-H. Zhang, W. Wang, J.-J. Guo, Q. P. Huang, R.-X. Zhao, C.-L. Zhang, G. Muller, Polyhedron, 2014, 74, 49-56.
Synthesis of Enantiomerically Pure Helicene Like Bis-Oxazines from Atropisomeric 7,7'-Dihydroxy BINOL: Preliminary Measurements of the Circularly Polarized Luminescence, M. S. Sundar, H. R. Talele, H. M. Mande, A. V. Bedekar, R. C. Tovar, G. Muller, Tetrahedron Letters, 2014, 55, 1760-1764.
Ligand Induced Circular Dichroism and Circularly Polarized Luminescence in CdSe Quantum Dots, U. Tohgha, K. K. Deol, A. G. Porter, S. G. Bartko, J. K. Choi, B. M. Leonard, K. Varga, J. Kubelka, G. Muller, M. Balaz, ACS Nano, 2013, 7, 11094-11102.
The Use of Lanthanide Luminescence as a Reporter in the Solid State: Desymmetrization of the Prochiral Layers of g-zirconium Phosphate/Phosphonate and Circularly Polarized Luminescence, E. Brunet, L. Jiménez, M.de Victoria-Rodriguez, V. Luu, G. Muller, O. Juanes, J. C. Rodríguez-Ubis, Microporous Mesoporous Mater., 2013, 169, 222-234.