Professor and Chair
Inorganic Chemistry and Chemical Biology
B.S., Chemistry, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France, 1993
M.S., Chemistry, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France, 1994
D.E.A., Post-Master Degree, Inorganic Chemistry, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France, 1995
Ph.D., Coordination Chemistry,University of Lausanne, Switzerland, 2001
Teaching Post-doctoral Scholar, University of Minnesota Duluth, 2001-2004
- Designing, characterizing, and providing important specific information concerning the thermodynamic, structural, dynamic, spectroscopic, and chiroptical properties of luminescent lanthanide complexes with chiral ligands as potential probes of more complex molecules, e.g. biomolecules, for instance by preferential interaction with one enantiomer.
- Designing, synthesizing, and spectral characterization of chiral lanthanide complexes for applications as chiroptical probes.
- Studying of the solution structure of chiral lanthanide complexes by circularly polarized luminescence (CPL), a chiroptical technique.
- Lanthanide(III) luminescence as a probe of structures, dynamics, and excited state energetics of metal-containing biomolecular systems such as Ca(II)-binding proteins.
- Developing, maintaining, improving and using a chiroptical induced-CPL-based technique to determine the absolute configuration of simple chiral organic molecules.
- “The Use of Lanthanide Luminescence as a Reporter in the Solid State: Desymmetrization of the Prochiral Layers of g-zirconium Phosphate/Phosphonate and Circularly Polarized Luminescence”, E. Brunet, L. Jiménez, M.de Victoria-Rodriguez, V. Luu, G. Muller, O. Juanes, J. C. Rodríguez-Ubis, Microporous Mesoporous Mater., 2013, 169, 222-234.
- “Circularly Polarized Luminescence of Curium: A New Characterization of the 5f Actinide Complexes”, G.-L. Law, C. M. Andolina, J. Xu, V. Luu, P. X. Rutkowski, G. Muller, D. K. Shuh, J. K. Gibson, K. N. Raymond, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, 134, 15545-15549.
- “Chiroptical Spectra of Tetrakis (+)-3-Heptafluorobutylrylcamphorate Ln(III) Complexes with an Encapsulated Alkali Metal Ion: Solution Structures as Revealed by Chiroptical Spectra”, D. Shirotani, K. Yamanari, R. Kuroda, T. Harada, J. L. Lunkley, G. Muller, S. Kaizaki, Chirality, 2012, 24, 1055-1062.
- “Metal-Controlled Diastereoselective Self-Assembly and Circularly Polarized Luminescence of a Chiral Heptanuclear Europium Wheel”, G. Bozoklu, C. Gateau, D. Imbert, J. Pecaut, K. Robeyns, Y. Filinchuk, F. Memon, G. Muller, M. Mazzanti, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, 134, 8372-8375.
- “Circularly Polarized Luminescence Spectroscopy and Emission-Detected Circular Dichroism; J. P. Riehl, G. Muller, In Comprehensive Chiroptical Spectroscopy”, First Edition, Ed. N. Berova, P. L. Polavarapu, K. Nakanishi, and R. W. Woody, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: Hoboken, New Jersey, 2012, Vol. 1: Instrumentation, Methodologies, and Theoretical Simulations, Chapter 3, pp. 65-90.
- “Structural and Photophysical Properties of Visible- and Near-Infrared-Emitting Tris Lanthanide(III) Complexes Formed with the Enantiomers of N,N'-Bis(1-phenylethyl)-2,6-pyridinedicarboxamide”, K. T. Hua, J. Xu, E. Q. Quiroz, S. Lopez, A. J. Ingram, V. A. Johnson, A. R. Tisch, A. de Bettencourt-Dias, D. A. Straus, G. Muller, Inorg. Chem., 2012, 51, 647-660