Professor and Chair
Inorganic Chemistry and Chemical Biology
B.S., Chemistry, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France, 1993
M.S., Chemistry, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France, 1994
D.E.A., Post-Master Degree, Inorganic Chemistry, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France, 1995
Ph.D., Coordination Chemistry,University of Lausanne, Switzerland, 2001
Teaching Post-doctoral Scholar, University of Minnesota Duluth, 2001-2004
- Designing, characterizing, and providing important specific information concerning the thermodynamic, structural, dynamic, spectroscopic, and chiroptical properties of luminescent lanthanide complexes with chiral ligands as potential probes of more complex molecules, e.g. biomolecules, for instance by preferential interaction with one enantiomer.
- Designing, synthesizing, and spectral characterization of chiral lanthanide complexes for applications as chiroptical probes.
- Studying of the solution structure of chiral lanthanide complexes by circularly polarized luminescence (CPL), a chiroptical technique.
- Lanthanide(III) luminescence as a probe of structures, dynamics, and excited state energetics of metal-containing biomolecular systems such as Ca(II)-binding proteins.
- Developing, maintaining, improving and using a chiroptical induced-CPL-based technique to determine the absolute configuration of simple chiral organic molecules.
- "Chiroptical Spectra of Tetrakis (+)-3-Heptafluorobutylryl-camphorate Ln(III) Complexes with an Encapsulated Alkali Metal Ion: Solution Structures as Revealed by Chiroptical Spectra" D. Shirotani, K. Yamanari, R. Kuroda, T. Harada, J. L. Lunkley, G. Muller, S. Kaizaki Chirality, 2012, in press.
- "Metal-Controlled Diastereoselective Self-Assembly and Circularly Polarized Luminescence of a Chiral Heptanuclear Europium Wheel" G. Bozoklu, C. Gateau, D. Imbert, J. Pecaut, K. Robeyns, Y. Filinchuk, F. Memon,G. Muller, M. MazzantiJ. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, 20, 8372-8375.
- "Circularly Polarized Luminescence Spectroscopy and Emission-Detected Circular Dichroism"J. P. Riehl, G. Muller, In Comprehensive Chiroptical Spectroscopy, First Edition, Ed. N. Berova, P. L. Polavarapu, K. Nakanishi, and R. W. Woody, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: Hoboken, New Jersey, 2012, Vol. 1: Instrumentation, Methodologies, and Theoretical Simulations, Chapter 3, pp. 65-90.
- "Structural and Photophysical Properties of Visible- and Near-Infrared-Emitting Tris Lanthanide(III) Complexes Formed with the Enantiomers of N,N'-Bis(1-phenylethyl)-2,6-pyridinedicarboxamide" K. T. Hua,J. Xu, E. Q. Quiroz, S. Lopez, A. J. Ingram, V. A. Johnson, A. R. Tisch, A. de Bettencourt-Dias, D. A. Straus, G. Muller,Inorg. Chem., 2012, 51, 647-660
- "Chiroptical Spectra of a Series of Tetrakis((+)-3-heptafluorobutylyrylcamphorato)lanthanide(III) with an Encapsulated Alkali Metal Ion: Circularly Polarized Luminescence and Absolute Chiral Structures for the Eu(III) and Sm(III) Complexes" J. L. Lunkley,D. Shirotani, K. Yamanari, S. Kaizaki, G. Muller,Inorg. Chem., 2011, 50, 12724-12732.
- "Speciation, Luminescence, and Alkaline Fluorescence Quenching of 4-(2-methylbutyl)aminodipicolinic acid (H2MEBADPA)" A. J. Ingram, A. G. Dunpal,R. DiPietro, G. Muller,J. Phys. Chem. A, 2011, 115, 7912-7920.
- "Strong Circularly Polarized Luminescence from Highly Emissive Terbium Complexes in Aqueous Solution" A. P. S. Samuel, J. L. Lunkley, G. Muller, K. N. Raymond, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2010, 3343-3347.
- "Luminescent Chiral Lanthanide(III) Complexes as Potential Molecular Probes" G. Muller, Dalton Trans., 2009, 9692-9707 (Invited Perspective Article).
- "Importance of Hydrogen-Bonding Sites in the Chiral Recognition Mechanism Between Racemic D3 Terbium(III) Complexes and Amino Acids" A. Moussa, C. Pham, S. Bommireddy, G. Muller, Chirality, 2009, 21, 497-506.
- "Extraordinary Circularly Polarized Luminescence Activity Exhibited by Cesium Tetrakis(3-heptafluorobutylryl-(+)-camphorato) Eu(III) Complexes in EtOH and CHCl3 Solutions" J. L. Lunkley, D. Shirotani, K. Yamanari, S. Kaizaki, G. Muller, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,2008, 130, 13814-13815.
- "A Promising Change in the Selection of the Circular Polarization Excitation Used in the Measurement of Eu(III) Circularly Polarized Luminescence" K. Do, F. C. Muller, G. Muller, J. Phys. Chem. A, 2008, 112, 6789-6793