Research Group Page
B.Sc. Chemistry, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2008
Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Florida, 2013
In the Simocko lab we focus on research that bridges the gap between organic chemistry and polymer science. Our broad goal is to study the structure-property relationship in polymer systems. To put it another way, we look at a desired property (mechanic strength, melting temperature, ion conduction, etc.) and figure out how polymer structure effect that property. To do this we control the primary structure of the polymer, whether that is growing a polymer from a surface to create polymer brushes, or by making precise polymers and block copolymers for tailored self-assembly via alternating diene metathesis polymerization. No matter the method, the overall goal is to understand this relationship.
- Synthesis, characterization, and application of precision polymers via acyclic diene metathesis (ADMET) polymerizations; specifically enhanced mechanical and thermal properties and well-defined morphologies.
- Synthesis and applications of precise block copolymers via alternating diene metathesis polymerizations. Of particular interest is their use in self-assembled structures such as micelles, vesicles, and tubules as well as unique morphology and physical properties.
- Synthesis and characterization of mixed polymer brushes grown from silicon wafers. We focus on brushes with a high chi value between the components as well as study the effect of different parameters of the brush (brush thickness, density, molecular weight, polymer identity, etc.).
- Chester Simocko, Amalie L. Frischnecht, Dale L. Huber. “Phase Behavior of Ternary Polymer Brushes” ACS Macro Letters, 2016, 5, 149-153
- Chester Simocko, Thomas C. Young, Kenneth B. Wagener “ADMET Polymers Containing Precisely Spaced Pendant Boronic Acids and Esters” Macromolecules, 2015, 48, 5470-5473
- Chester Simocko, Yong Yang, Timothy Swager, Kenneth B. Wagener “Metathesis Polymerization in Ionic Liquids” ACS Macro Letters, 2013, 2, 1061-64
- Chester Simocko, Kenneth B. Wagener “Effects of boron-containing Lewis acids on olefin metathesis” Organometallics, 2013, 32, 2513-16
- Chester Simocko, Pascale Atallah, Kenneth B. Wagener “A Brief Examination of the Latest ADMET Chemistry” Current Organic Chemistry, 2013, 17, 2749-63