General FAQs


What is a CASA Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program?

Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) are overseas SJSU courses taught by SJSU faculty from the College of Applied Sciences and Arts. FLP courses range from 3-6 units  and are typically 3 weeks in length during the summer session. These popular courses are the best ways to earn SJSU academic credit and gain international experience. Some FLP courses meet general education requirements.

What programs are offered?

Currently, courses from Mass Communication, Recreation, Global Studies, Nursing, Occupational Therapy and Social Work are offered. Please see list for details and contact information.

What program types will satisfy the International Experience requirement?

  • SJSU Semester Exchange Program (Semester or Academic Year, some summer only available)
  • SJSU Faculty Led Program through College of International and Extended Studies (Semester, Summer, Winter & Spring Break)
  • CSU International Program (Full Academic Year)
  • Academic program through an international university
  • Study abroad program through another university or a community college
  • Approved Independent Study Abroad Program

Is there an alternative to the International Experience requirement?

Students seeking an alternative to the study abroad portion of the international experience requirement must meet first with the CASA International Coordinator to review the requirement guidelines. Final determinations regarding travel alternatives must be approved by the dean of the college for students who, because of serious and compelling life events or physical limitations, cannot meet this requirement. Students who are approved for a travel alternative are required to complete independent study coursework in conjunction with a local San Jose community service component.

Are CASA FLPs open to everyone? Who is eligible to apply?

FLPs are open to all degree-seeking SJSU students who are 18 or older and have completed their freshmen year before the program start date. Graduate students are also welcome to apply and some FLPs are targeted for graduate students. Some programs may have other eligibility requirements such as GPA requirements, course prerequisites or language proficiency. Please see individual program information for more details.

Can Open University students participate in CASA FLPs?

Non-SJSU students may also participate in FLPs. This includes SJSU alumni, students from other universities, as well as general community members. If you are in any of these categories, you can apply through SJSU Open University to enroll in an FLP. Please see the Application Process section for more details.

Do I Have to be Upper Division Standing?

Not all programs require students to be upper division standing (60 units completed). Some may require successful completion of the Writing Skills Test (WST) prior to applying for the program. Please see individual program information for more details.

Does program costs cover my stay, food, etc.?

The Program costs do not cover personal expenses but cover SJSU tuition, lodging, tours and lessons. Students are responsible for plane tickets and personal expenses.

Do we have to go to class when we’re abroad? What do we do in class?

Yes. Each program is designed as an individual summer intensive course in its specialized area. Students attend global lectures and experience the cultural aspects of their program country. Students will learn about culture, language, history and diversity in some of the most dynamic cities in the world.

Do we have free time?

Yes. Students are highly encouraged to explore and enrich their global experience.