Prospective CHHS FLP Students
Thinking about going abroad but something's holding you back? What is it? Is it the money? The potential culture shock? Or just don't know how? CHHS is here to provide you with all the necessary resources you need to get ready to embark on this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
How You Can Start Preparing for Study Abroad Now:
- Attend a Faculty-Led Program Information Session
- Review SJSU FLP FAQs and CHHS FAQs
- Review your academic interest and select an appropriate Faculty-Led Program
- Meet with an academic advisor for information on requirements and eligibility
- Review Student Application and Process for important deadlines
- Contact the FLP faculty to discuss and plan for your trip
- Save money and create a budget for your trip
- Obtain or renew your passport/visa
- Sign up for alerts for program notifications
- Follow CHHS International Experience on Facebook and Instagram
What are the advantages of a Faculty-Led Program?
It’s in the summer or winter.
Instead of taking summer school, just take your education abroad. You are able to travel to a different country for the summer and winter session, and immerse yourself in a new culture while earning SJSU course credits. You also may be able to graduate faster.
It’s short and sweet.
Since CHHS Faculty-Led Programs are typically three weeks to a month in length. If you are concerned about being outside the U.S. for an extended period of time for academic, employment, or financial reasons, this is an excellent way to study abroad!
You’re not alone.
CHHS Faculty-Led Programs are taught by SJSU professors. Your professor conducts the class in English, so don't worry if you don't speak the local language. At the same time, we encourage our students to immerse themselves in the local culture and build on their experience abroad, and learning the basics of a new language can truly enhance your experience (you might gain networking opportunities!) Because you are traveling with your fellow SJSU classmates, you will already have a built-in community to share new cultural experiences and transformations together.
PASSPORT - Most students forget to apply for a passport before their Faculty-Led Program. Don't let a passport be the reason you can't go abroad. Passports may take some time to obtain, so make sure to get yours as soon as possible.
FUNDS - One of the biggest concerns preventing students from travelling internationally is the lack of funds. Don't be discouraged! There are many ways to save for your trip in advance. Take advantage of Spartan Scholarships and consider other fundraising opportunities
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.