CME Graduate English Writing Requirement

All CME graduate students must satisfy the graduate writing requirement (GWAR). This is a CSU wide requirement. This must be satisfied before you can enroll in ChE/MatE 281.

You can satisfy this in one of 4 ways:

  1. You need to get a B or better in Engr 200W. We accept 100W as a substitute. This is a pre-requisite for 281 and these classes fill up so take it as early in the program as you can.
  2. If you graduated from a CSU school, you have already satisfied the GWAR and you are all set. You don't need to do anything.
  3. If you have taken a technical writing course at a US University and are going to petition to use that course to meet the writing requirement, you MUST meet with your graduate advisor in order to fill out a petition that must be approved by GAPE.
    The class must have been a upper division (junior/senior) technical writing course taught in the College of Science or Engineering with documented 32 pages of writing and a required literature review or referencing of technical articles. They will not accept an English class or a lab class.
    You need to supply a description of the course you took (from the web is fine), syllabus (from when you took it if you have it, is not from the most recent semester), a copy of your transcript with the grade you obtained in the course highlighted, and a copy of graded writing form the class if you still have it.
    You MUST have obtained a B or better in a Technical Writing Course in order to petition.
  4. Sole author on a published technical journal article. If so, bring the article to your graduate advisor to submit a petition.