BS in Materials Engineering (MatE)
Materials Engineers design, characterize and manufacture the "stuff" of our everyday world. Semiconductors, metals, polymers, ceramics, and composites are examples of the materials used to make everything around you - from your computer to the chair you are sitting in, from artificial body parts to the skin of the space shuttle. Materials scientists and engineers work in nanotechnology, biotechnology, aerospace, alternative energy, microelectronics and virtually every industry sector.
Major areas of study are the relationships between materials' structure, properties, processing, and performance. The MatE programs stress the roles of design, development, and process engineering, and also prepare the exceptional student for research and graduate study. The Department has excellent laboratory facilities for courses and student research.
The BS program in Materials Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
- 5-Year Curriculum Plan PDF Version
- BS in Materials Engineering in the SJSU Catalog
- Approved Technical electives for Materials Engineering students
- Minor in Materials Science Engineering
- BS Materials Engineering ABET Program Educational Objectives
- BS Materials Engineering ABET Student Learning Outcomes
- BS Materials Engineering Enrollment History
- BS Materials Engineering Graduation and Retention Statistics