Changing Major to Business
Changing Major to Business (BSBA)
Requests for changes to the BSBA major, concentrations, or minor are accepted any time but decisions are made during the sixth week of a given semester. If a student is changing a major at the same time he/she is submitting a graduation application, the request for major/concentration/minor change should be part of the graduation application packet.
Minimum requirements to change to the BSBA major or to change one’s concentration within the BSBA are listed below.
Note that we can only accommodate a limited number of students to the BSBA or a concentration due to capacity limits. Hence students will be ranked according to how well they meet the requirements listed below. We will approve changes of major/concentration in order, based on this ranking, until we have met the limit based on our capacity.
Upper Division students (admitted to SJSU as a Freshman or Transfer)
(You have completed 60 units or more)
The following can qualify you for the BSBA:
- If you have been admitted as a BSBA major and are petitioning to change your concentration within the BSBA in your first semester at SJSU, you must have a transfer GPA of 3.0 if you are petitioning to change your concentration to Accounting, AIS or CAF, or a transfer GPA of 2.6 for other business concentrations; or
- If you have been admitted to a major other than the BSBA, or if you have been admitted
to the BSBA and do not meet the GPA requirements (3.0 for Accounting, AIS, or CAF,
2.6 for other business concentrations), you will have to meet one of the following
- If petitioning to change to a concentration other than Marketing, Accounting, AIS, or CAF, complete 12 units of letter graded, upper division business courses that count towards degree (business core or concentration courses) AND get an SJSU cumulative GPA of 2.6 or greater, or
- If petitioning to change your concentration to Accounting, AIS, or CFM, complete 12 units of letter graded upper division business courses that count towards degree (business core or concentration courses), get at least a grade of B in Intermediate Accounting (Bus 121A), and get an SJSU cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater. Students who have repeated any Accounting course more than one time are ineligible to change their majors to Accounting.
- If petitioning to change your concentration to Marketing, complete 12 units of letter graded upper division business courses that count towards degree. Nine of these twelve units should be marketing classes including Bus 130 and one of the following Bus 134a, Bus 134b, or Bus 138 AND get an SJSU cumulative GPA of 2.6 or greater.
Lower Division students
(You have completed 59 units or less)
- If petitioning for a concentration other than Accounting, AIS, or CAF, complete a minimum of 24 SJSU units in graded courses (including English IB (or, if continuous enrollment began Fall 2015 or later, English 2) and Math 71) and achieve an SJSU cumulative GPA of 2.6 or greater
- If petitioning to change your concentration to Accounting, AIS, or CFM, you will have to achieve upper division status and the requirements for Upper Division student will apply (see above)
For students admitted assigned undeclared, all requirements to change your major into the BSBA must be completed with your first 24 units at SJSU.
Requirements to add the business minor:
The business minor should not delay your graduation or increase your total unit count upon graduation to over 140 units earned. Hence, students requesting to add the business minor should submit the following:
- a major form showing classes left to be completed before graduation
- a current unofficial transcript
- a business minor form