Business Convocation Ceremony
Lucas College and Graduate School of Business
Fall 2014 Convocation Ceremony
Friday, December 19, 2014
On December 19th, the Lucas College and Graduate School of Business will hold its Fall convocation, celebrating the accomplishments of its Fall graduates. If you are registered to graduate in Fall 2014 we invite you, your family and your guests to attend the ceremony.
This event is wheelchair accessible. For event center seating questions please contact the event center box office at 408-924-6360. Graduating students that need special accommodations for themselves should send an email to email@example.com immediately.
The Lucas College and Graduate School of Business convocation is only for Business students. During the ceremony, each student's name will be announced when they cross the stage and they will be congratulated and photographed with the Deans from the College. Your official SJSU diploma will be mailed to you at a later date by the University.
Below is a FAQ section that should answer your questions about the convocation ceremony.
Should you need additional information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also view the convocation picture album.
We look forward to seeing you on Friday, December 19!
P.S. Please consider sending an email invitation to your favorite professor to attend the ceremony. You will not have to purchase a ticket for them, but they are as eager to cheer your accomplishments as your family and friends!
Friday, December 19, 2014
3:00pm - Event Center doors open to the public.
3:00pm - Graduating Students Line-up for Processional March*.
All participating students assemble by major and concentration outside the Event Center - between the Music Building and the Event Center. Specific instructions will be given at that time. Come dressed in your cap, gown and Tassel (Masters: Please carry your hood, as you will be hooded inside the event center)
* Guests are not to accompany graduates to the line-up area.
4:00pm - Ceremony starts with Processional March.
(Ceremony duration: Approx. 2.0 hrs)
Please note that the CoB convocation ceremony will be videotaped in order to produce a video of the ceremony. By attending the ceremony you will be giving your permission to be recorded and for your likeness to be used in the final product.
As a courtesy to your fellow students and their guests, we ask that each student participating in the ceremony remain in the graduate area, and their guests remain seated, until the end of the ceremony.
Event Center Arena
San Jose State University, San Jose, CA
Parking information available at http://www.union.sjsu.edu/ec/directions/
Parking will be complimentary in all the garages on campus. Disabled guests should park at the 7th street garage. In order to minimize traffic congestion we suggest that all other guests park in the 4th and 10thstreet garages. Allow ample time to arrive at the ceremony site, park and line-up.
1. RSVP by December 17th, midnight, PST.
You MUST RSVP even if you are not going to invite guests (so we can provide the event center with a total count).
2. To celebrate your academic accomplishment, your name will appear in the LCoB Convocation booklet (for undergraduate students: if you applied for graduation by September 8, 2014, with the Jack Holland Student Success Center (JHSSC) BBC 008; for graduate students: if you applied for graduation by September 1, 2014, with the SJSU graduate admissions office). If you do not want your name to be included in the booklet, please send an email to email@example.com November 12, 2014.
3. Purchase your GUEST TICKETS from the Event Center box office on campus, from October20 - December 19 (there will be two sales periods, see below). Tickets are sold depending on availability, and on a first-come, first serve basis. Tickets are not guaranteed.
Graduating students must show student ID to purchase tickets (names are matched against the box office list.)
When you purchase your tickets please verify if your name or degree information is incorrect. If there are any changes, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before November 12, midnight PST. Due to printing deadlines we can't accept changes after November 12.
Graduating students attend for free.
$20 - 1 adult ticket.
$2 - 1 regular child ticket (2 - 5 years)
Children 23 months or younger can attend for free.
October 20 – November 30 Graduating Students Only
Graduating students can purchase up to 4 guest tickets (depending on availability, and on a first-come first-serve basis.) Tickets are not guaranteed.
December 1 - December 19
ANY EXTRA TICKETS available will be sold at this time so please check with the event center box office.
Graduating Students and General Public (family & friends) can purchase up to 6 extra tickets at this time (if extra tickets are available). Any extra tickets will be sold on a first-come first-serve basis, and quantity will depend on availability. Extra tickets are not guaranteed.
* Members of the general public must provide the box office with the name & student ID of the student they are coming to see during the ceremony.
* If a student is not on the box office list he / she must fill out a box office letter, whether they are purchasing the guest tickets themselves or a family / friend is purchasing the guest tickets.
All sales are final - No refunds allowed. All tickets will be sold on a first-come, first serve basis. GUESTS MUST BRING THEIR TICKETS WITH THEM TO ATTEND THE CEREMONY.
To purchase tickets by FAX please fill out the form (pdf) and fax it back to the box office. Please include the last 5 digits of your student ID in the name section (under contact information). Tickets can't be purchased online.
Event Center box-office hours:
Saturday: 10:00am to 12:00pm
Event Center Box office 408 - 924 – 6360
Between the music building and the event center, by degree / concentration (see sample photo below and details under student line-up.) Do not bring anything with you into the event center (no jackets, purses, etc.). We suggest you leave these items with your guests.
Undergraduate students come dressed in regalia (cap, tassel and gown: wear the tassel on the right side of the cap.)
Masters students come dressed in regalia (cap, tassel and gown: wear the tassel on the left side of the cap) but please carry your hood.
1. Students will line up under their major / concentration, in two lines. Students with double majors will line up under their primary concentration. Gary J. Sbona students will line up under the Gary J. Sbona Honors designation, not their individual concentration. The lineup order below is how students will walk into the arena. Line up order may change slightly on December 19, due to rsvps submitted. Please look at the arena floor plan.pdf document for the estimated line-up location.
***If it is raining, the back up location for students to line-up at 3:00pm is inside the Boccardo Business Classroom building. Please enter the BBC through the 9th Street entrance (side with name on building). Students will line-up on the 1st and 2nd fl. Follow instructions provided to you at that time. Check the event center line-up location first before going to the BBC line-up location***
2. Students will be asked to fill out a name card before entering the event center, for the photographer. Keep this card with you when you enter the arena. Further instructions will be provided during the lineup.
PROCESSIONAL MARCH (CEREMONY STARTS).
Students walk into the arena, after the faculty walk inside.
The Faculty walk down the middle aisle of the arena, followed by the students. Students walk down the middle aisle towards the faculty marshals in front of the stage, who will direct them to their seats, row by row.
The program includes a welcome from the Dean, the student address, and the convocation address by the Alumni Guest Speaker (program subject to change). Then the class of 2014 is presented, concentration - by - concentration. The program ends with closing remarks.
How do students walk the stage?
1. When instructed by the Faculty Marshal, please rise. The Faculty Marshall will direct students out of their seats into the side aisles, row by row.
2. Remaining in line, students move towards the side stage stairs and line up on the
stairs. Undergraduates & Masters take their picture in front of the College of Business banner then walk up the stairs onto the stage.
3. Students hand their name card to the faculty announcer who reads their name. We recommend whispering the name to the faculty announcer, so they can pronounce it as correctly as possible.
4. Undergraduates walk over to the Dean, collect certificate, shake hands and take photo with the Dean. Masters students walk over to the Associate Dean, collect certificate, shake hands and take photo with the Associate Dean.
5. Students should wait until the previous student has finished taking his/her photograph with the Dean/Associate Dean before walking forward for their handshake and photograph.
6. Undergraduates & Masters walk off the stage down the middle stage stairs, and back to their seats.
Students remain in the graduate arena until the end of the ceremony. IT IS RUDE TO YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS AND THEIR GUESTS IF YOU LEAVE BEFORE THE CEREMONY IS OVER!!
6:00pm RECESSIONAL MARCH (CEREMONY ENDS).
The faculty walk out of the arena first, followed by the students.
Faculty walk off the stage, down the middle aisle, and out of the event center, followed by the students, and then the guests in the bleachers. We suggest that you and your guests identify a meeting point outside of the event center, to meet after the ceremony.
A PowerPoint presentation will be shown as guests seat themselves, before the ceremony begins.
If you wish to include a personal message to family and friends, please provide us with a digital image and text by Wednesday, December 10, midnight PST (no submissions will be accepted after December 10).
Email your digital image and MS word document (as two separate files) to email@example.com. Your digital image must be 600/450 pixels. Your text message can't exceed 20 words and must be in MS Word format. Include your First and Last name, Student ID, and Phone number in your email message.
Q: Do we receive caps, gowns and tassels? How about hoods?
A: No. You will need to purchase caps, gowns, and tassels, as well as hoods (Masters) at the bookstore on campus or on-line at the Spartan Bookstore Website
Caps & Gowns will be in the store starting 11/3/14. Orders can be placed online until Nov 16 (rush shipping will be available after 11/20/14). The Spartan Bookstore "GradFair" will be from 11.3.14 - 11.4.14, 10am-4pm, and will have company representatives on site for rings, announcements and diploma frames. The bookstore can't guarantee cap & grown availability after November 28.
- - A photographer (for portrait shots) will be at the Spartan Bookstore butONLYduring the"GradFair", from 11.3.14 - 11.4.14, 10am-4pm, (there are no sitting fees.)
** If you sign up for an alumni membership you will get 10% off your regalia order (when ordering online just put in your ID number). http://www.sjsu.edu/alumni/students/
Q: Are there announcement invitations available?
Q: Will there be any food or drinks served at the event?
A: No. However, the concession stands may be open when the doors open to the public.
Q. Will professional photographs be taken?
A: Yes. A professional photographer GradImages will be taking photographs* during the ceremony. Proofs will be sent to the student’s home and via email within
three to five days after graduation. Pictures can be ordered online, by phone or by
mail. GradImages can be contacted at 800-261-2576 or via email at www.gradimages.com
Registering with GradImages provides them with the information they need to deliver your graduation proofs to you in a timely manner. Giving them an accurate mailing address and email address will allow them to get your proofs to you on the first try. There is no obligation to purchase any photo packages offered.
*Graduates: In order to receive your photo proof make sure you fill out the name card
completely during the lineup. Please Also visit the Pre-event Registration page.
Q: Is there reserved seating in the Event Center Arena?
A: No. For this event seating is open (your guests can sit anywhere in the bleachers section). We recommend that your guests arrive early and enter together. After the ceremony is over we encourage you to meet your guests outside of the event center.
If you are holding tickets for somebody you can leave them at the Will Call window of the event center box office. There are no in-and-out privileges for this event - once guests enter the event center and hand over their ticket they can’t go back inside.
Guests enter through the Arena Entrance stairs, located on the left side of the box office and the Sport Club. Disabled guests enter through the disabled entrance, next to the Sport Club entrance. See photo below.
Q: Are there any items guests can't bring into the Event Center?
A: Yes. All guests will be subject to search, which may include the use of Electronic devices, pat downs and inspections of bags. Only small purses and baby bags will be permitted in the Building.
* Glass containers of any kind
* Alcoholic beverages (including leis with bottles)
* Weapons of any kind (including off-duty police weapons, pipes of any size, or chains)