College of Business Spring Convocation Ceremony
Friday, May 28, 2010
On May 28 the College of Business will hold its Spring Convocation, celebrating the accomplishments of its Spring and Summer graduates. If you are registered to graduate in Spring '10 or Summer '10 we invite you, your family and your guests to attend the ceremony.
This event is wheelchair accessible. For seating questions please contact the event center box office at 408-924-6333. Graduating students needing special accommodations should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unlike the SJSU Commencement (May 29) the College of Business Spring Convocation is only for College of Business students. During the ceremony, each student's name will be announced as they cross the stage, and they will be congratulated and photographed with the Deans from the College. Your official SJSU diploma will be mailed to you at a later date by the University.
If you participate in the CoB Convocation you can still participate in the SJSU Commencement on May 29.
Below is a FAQ section that should answer your questions. Should you need additional information, please send an email to email@example.com.
Check here for last minute instructions starting May 21. In the meantime you can view the Fall 2009 Convocation picture album here.
We look forward to seeing you on Friday, May 28!
P.S. Please consider sending an email invitation to your favorite professor to attend the ceremony. You will not have to purchase a ticket for them, but they are as eager to cheer your accomplishments as your family and friends!
1. When is the College of Business Convocation?
2. Where is the College of Business Convocation?
3. How do I participate in the College of Business Convocation?
4. Student Message & Picture presentation
5. What happens during the ceremony?
6. Other Frequently Asked Questions
When is the College of Business Convocation?
Friday, May 28, 2010
8:00am - 8:30am
(In case of rain breakfast will be cancelled)
8:30am - Graduates Line-up for Processional March*.
9:30am - Ceremony starts with Processional March.
(Ceremony duration: Approx. 2.5 hrs)
Please note that the CoB convocation ceremony will be videotaped in order to produce a DVD of the ceremony. By attending the ceremony you will be giving your permission to be recorded and for your likeness to be used in the final product.
As a courtesy to your fellow students and their guests, we ask that each student participating in the ceremony remain in the graduate area, and their guests remain seated, until the end of the ceremony.
Where is the College of Business Convocation?
|Event Center Arena
San Jose State University, San Jose, CA
Parking information available at:
Parking will be complimentary in all the garages on campus.
Allow ample time to arrive at the ceremony site, park and assemble.
How do I participate in the College of Business Convocation?
1. RSVP by May 26, midnight, PST.
2. Purchase your TICKETS from the Event Center box office on campus, from March 22 - May 28 (depending on availability).
3. Check this website starting May 21 th for last minute instructions.
Student Message & Picture Presentation
|A PowerPoint presentation will be shown as guests seat themselves, before the ceremony
begins. If you wish to include a personal message to family and friends, please provide us
with a digital image and text by Thursday, May 20 th, midnight PST (no submissions will be accepted after May 20 th).
Email your digital image and MS word document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your digital image must be 600/450 pixels. Your text message can't exceed 20 words and must be in MS Word format. Include your First and Last name, Student ID, and Phone number in your email message.
What happens during the ceremony?
|1. Students line up for the Processional march outside of the event center and music
building, by concentration.
2. When the Processional march starts, faculty walk into the event center arena, followed by the students, who will be guided to their seats by faculty marshals.
3. There will be an introduction, followed by remarks from the Dean, presentation of student awards & scholarships, and a keynote address by the Alumni Guest Speaker.
4. Then the class of 2010 is presented, concentration by concentration. Each student will have their name announced then they'll walk across the stage, shake hands with the Dean, get their picture taken, and then return to their seat. Faculty marshals will help guide students out of their seats up to the stage and then help reseat them when they exit the stage.
Please be aware, that out of consideration for the other attendees, your guests won't be able to approach the stage for photographs during the ceremony.
5. The ceremony ends with closing remarks. During the Recessional march, Faculty will exit the event center arena, followed by the graduates, followed by the guests.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
|Q: Do we receive caps, gowns and tassels? How about hoods?
A: No. You will need to purchase caps, gowns, and tassels, as well as hoods (Master's) at the bookstore on campus or on-line at www.spartanbookstore.com. The regalia will be available starting April 6 th.
Q: Are there announcement invitations available?
A: Yes. Personalized announcement cards can be ordered anytime via: www.cbgrad.com. Generic announcement cards are available in the bookstore, or can be ordered via www.spartanbookstore.com.
Q: Will there be any food or drinks served at the event?
A: Light refreshments will be provided from 8:00am Ð 8:30am in front of the event center, to all attending guests and students. The concession stands may be open when the doors open to the public.
Q. Will professional photographs be taken?
A: Yes. A professional photographer will be taking photographs * during the ceremony. After the ceremony each graduate photographed will be mailed a passport-sized photo proof image. There is no obligation to purchase any photo packages offered. The photographer is GradTrack.
*Graduates: In order to receive your photo proof make sure you fill out the name card completely during the lineup.
Q: Is there reserved seating in the Event Center Arena?
A: No. For this event seating is open. We recommend that your guests arrive early and enter together. After the ceremony is over we encourage you to meet your guests outside of the event center.
Q: Are there any items guests can't bring into the Event Center?
A: Yes. All guests will be subject to search, which may include the use of Electronic devices, pat downs and inspections of bags. Only small purses and baby bags will be permitted in the Building.
* Glass containers of any kind
* Alcoholic beverages
* Weapons of any kind
(including off-duty police weapons, pipes of any size, or chains)
* Aerosol cans
* Animals (except service animals)
* Plastic horns and air horns
* Helium balloons