Bus 127A/B Honors Practicum
The Bus 127A and 127B Honors Practicum courses are being offered as part of the Gary
J. Sbona Honors Program in the College of Business. The College of Business at SJSU
is the only business college in the U.S. offering this type of program! In addition,
if you take both Honors Program courses (Bus127A and Bus127B), write a scholarly paper
and you have a 3.5 GPA in your major, you will be eligible to graduate with Departmental
Honors from the College of Business. Prior students say this is the best course they have taken at SJSU!
The requirements for eligibility for this course are as follows:
- Senior or Junior (have completed at least one semester at SJSU) status
- That you have completed at least one of the desired pre-requisite courses (preferrably Bus170), which include Bus 121A, Bus 121B, Bus 122A, Bus 170 and Bus 173A
- That you have a GPA of at least 3.25 in the pre-requisite courses.
- That you have an overall SJSU GPA of at least 3.25. A letter of recommendation from one of your professors is required.
- Other desirable qualifications include good oral and written communication skills, good computer software skills, and involvement in extra-curricular activities, including other internships or work experience.
The course is designed to put you into an intern-like position as part of a team of students
with a company in the Silicon Valley working on a project to be determined by the
Company and myself. You will get to choose which project/company you want to work
with. This intern-like position is is for college credit, not for pay, and will involve
working with a team of other students under the direct supervision of the Company
you are assigned to and myself.
Benefits to you include:
- on the job work experience,
- completing an analytical project for a Company,
- having a good teamwork experience,
- three units of college course credit
- an opportunity to show what you can do for a potential future employer.
- a great line item on your resume
- social/networking events with alumni, other honor students and firms
- field trips to participating companies
- opportunities for international travel
Companies that have participated in the program, along with others, include:
- Hewlett Packard,
- Agilent Technologies,
- Applied Materials,
- National Semiconductor,
- Adobe Systems
- Pricewaterhouse Coopers
- Banks, CPA Firms, Non-Profits, etc.
Logistics. The course is offered in the evening from 6:00 PM to 8:45PM with project work assignments
requiring approximately the amount of time as a regular 3 unit course. Project work
time is work time is very flexible and can be negotiated with your team and firm.
I take into consideration your class time and other work schedules. Class time includes
guest speakers, progress reports on your projects, program management, report generation
and presentation training, fun events and much more.
International travel for groups of Honor students was conducted in the summer of 2007 (China), the summer of 2008 (Central Europe) and the summer of 2009 (South America). There is no trip planned for summer of 2011 due to budget constraints.
To Apply: If you qualify and are interested, please send me your resume, an unofficial transcript of grades (a print out is fine) and a list of courses you are currently taking. A 500 word cover letter/essay is required (see application form for details). You may send hard copies to BT850 or soft copies to firstname.lastname@example.org. Qualified candidates will be interviewed by me prior to acceptance into the class. Admittance into this class is not possible through on-line registration. I will hand out add codes at the first class meeting.
If you have questions, you may call me at 408-924-3488 or better yet, email me at email@example.com