The application deadline for Spring 2018 is Nov. 27. There will be an information
session for prospective students on Nov. 6, 5:30-6:30 in BBC032. All concentrations
The application form is available now (A&F and Marketing only).
Come find out about the program, meet the faculty and talk with current students.
Thank you for your interest in the Gary J. Sbona Honors Program. If you are accepted into and complete the program you will join a select few who stand out from the crowd….
To be eligible for the Sbona Honors program you need a completed application form, including
- A minimum SJSU GPA of 3.0 overall and a 3.25 in all upper division business classes you have taken (100w and business ethics count as upper division business).
- A minimum of two semesters of course work at SJSU prior to entering the first semester of the program. (You may apply during your second semester),
- To have completed the required courses in your concentration,
- To submit a complete application, as required by your department
To complete the application form you will need:
- Unofficial transcript of your SJSU grades, pasted into the application form or as otherwise indicated on the form.
- An essay of no more than 500 words on the topic indicated by your department, pasted into the application form.
- Letters of recommendation, as required by your department. Instructions for submission are included on the application form.
Check your department for specific requirements.
Students who successfully complete the Gary J. Sbona Honors Program are granted a waiver for the GMAT/GRE requirement for the application to the Lucas MBA programs, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Graduate from the Gary J. Sbona Honors Program, as verified by the Program Director.
- Apply for admission in the Lucas MBA programs within five years of the graduation date.
As a student, you will work together in teams with other similarly qualified students on a significant and meaningful project at a major organization in Silicon Valley where you can apply what you have learned in the classroom to real world business problems. You will gain much sought after work experience in high profile projects that will greatly enhance your educational experience and give you a significant edge over other new entrants in the job market. You will also receive other benefits such as networking events with alumni and project sponsors, high level speakers from around Silicon Valley, and training in important areas such as project management, presentation skills, interviewing tips, executive briefings on contemporary business issues, ethical business practices and incorporating values into business decisions.
Firms that have sponsored Sbona Honors Program students include Abbott Labs, Adobe, Applied Materials, Bausch & Lomb, Bridge Bank, Cisco, Creative Labs, Delta Dental, Ernst & Young, Frank, Rimerman + Co. LLP, HP, IBM, Price Waterhouse Coopers, Synopsys, Subaru, Target, Yahoo and the 49ers. Non-profit and government agencies have included the BayBio Consortium, CIA, City of San Jose, FBI, Health Trust and SETI Institute. Many of our larger sponsors return year after year to work with new students on new problems.
Application to the Program
Normally you will apply to the Honors program at the end of your junior year. Be sure you understand and meet all of the specific requirements of your department. And, if you have any questions about your eligibility or the application process, please contact the honors coordinator listed on your department honors web page.
Want to Join a Select Few?
Join a select few – Check out and apply to the applicable program listed below: