Members of our honors cohort at the Comm Awards Ceremony, May 2019
**HONORS INFO SESSION: Wed, October 30 at 3pm in HGH 255**
Graduating with honors is a mark of distinction, open to no more than 10% of the department's graduating class.
To apply for honors, students will need to:
- Have completed 22 units in the Communication Studies major
- Have a department GPA of at least 3.5
- Have an overall SJSU GPA of at least 3.0
If you believe you are eligible and wish to apply, please email the Honors Coordinator Oona Hatton at email@example.com. Your email should include:
- Your departmental and overall GPA (you can figure those out here)
- A copy of your unofficial transcript (this can be downloaded from mySJSU)
- Your anticipated graduation date (i.e., Fall 2020)
Please use the subject heading "Application for honors." Once your eligibility has been determined, you will be cleared to fulfill the final requirement:
- Take one of the department’s MA graduate-level seminars. This course can replace one of the required courses in the undergraduate major (either COMM 199C or one of the F, I, or P requirements.) Alternatively, you may count the seminar towards your elective units or "bank" the graduate course towards an MA in Communication Studies. (Note that this option would be contingent on your acceptance to the MA Program.)
Deadlines: If you plan to graduate in the spring, contact Dr. Hatton by November 1 of the previous semester. If you plan to graduate in the fall, contact Dr. Hatton by April 1 of the previous semester.
Because no more than 10% of the graduating class can receive the honors designation, eligiblity does not necessarily guarantee acceptance. Applicants will be rated according to overall GPA; those with top GPAs will receive priority. In recent years, all applicants who passed their MA seminars have received honors.
If you have questions, please contact Dr. Oona Hatton at firstname.lastname@example.org.