Berlin - Summer Study Abroad
Study abroad in Berlin, Summer 2015
Take the Berlin FLP (faculty-led program) from June 22 – July 10, 2015 and earn 4 units of upper division COMM credit in 3 weeks in Germany’s vibrant capital city.
A Vibrant European Metropolis
Rock star David Bowie called Berlin “the greatest cultural extravaganza that one could imagine.” One of Europe's most cutting-edge cities, Berlin has something for every taste and budget. World-class art and architecture, a famous music and club scene, beautiful parks and lakes, excellent international cuisine, and a fascinating youth culture are just a few of the things you can enjoy here.
Berlin’s central location also makes it easy for you to travel around the rest of Europe – even for just a weekend!
Students will stay in comfortable hotel accommodations in central Berlin, within walking distance of our study center and many of Berlin's famous sights. Out-of-class fieldwork and excursions will provide ample opportunities to discover this exciting city.
Take COMM 160F in Berlin
This special session of COMM 160F, Language, Meaning & Culture, will give you a theoretical and methodological toolkit for examining the relationship between culture and communication. The city of Berlin will be your living laboratory for applying what you learn.
All majors are welcome. In fact, taking the Berlin FLP can get you closer to graduation!
- COMM majors can apply this course toward FIP requirements.
- COMM course substitutions can be arranged.
- If you're not a COMM major, contact your advisor about how to use this course toward your major requirements.
- Earn an additional 1-3 units by enrolling in a special online course (COMM 180) concurrent with the Berlin program.
- If you've already taken COMM 160F you can still take the Berlin course and get alternative credit for it.
Meet your teachers
The Berlin course teachers are Dr. Tabitha Hart and Bettina Brockmann, M.A.
Dr. Hart teaches Communication Studies courses at SJSU, where she also directs the COMM department’s internship program. Before coming to SJSU she lived in Berlin, which she considers her home away from home.
Bettina Brockmann teaches Communication Studies courses at SJSU and other Bay Area campuses. She specializes in environmental communication and disability studies. Having been born and raised in Germany, she is a huge fan of Berlin.
Both of your teachers look forward to giving you an insider’s view of Berlin, a city they know inside-out.
The cost of the 2015 Berlin program is projected to be approximately $4000 and will include:
- 3-week, 4-unit course
- Hotel accommodation with daily breakfast
- 4-week Berlin transportation pass
- Course excursions, museums visits, Berlin city tour
- Course orientation, welcome reception
- Farewell dinner
- Health insurance for the duration of the course
Note that the course fee does not include airfare. Berlin students arrange their own flights to/from Europe in consultation with the course leaders. Consider extending your travels by coming early and/or staying on in Europe after the course ends. We can connect you with past Berlin students who have done this.
Grants and Financial Aid
Apply now for Berlin 2015!
We are now accepting applications for Berlin 2015.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, so get yours in ASAP. For priority consideration, submit your application by January 16, 2015.
Follow these steps to apply:
1. Download the application here
2. Fill out the application electronically or by hand
3. For Part II Academic Information use the following details:
- Program Location: Berlin, Germany
- Faculty Leaders: Bettina Brockmann & Tabitha Hart
- Program/Course Title: Language, Meaning & Culture
- Course Number: COMM 161F
- Start Date: 06/22/15
- End Date: 07/10/15
4. Save the app as FLP2015.yourlastname.yourfirstname.BerlinGermany
5. Compose an email with the subject line Berlin FLP Student Application
6. Attach your application
7. Send the app to all 3 of the following addresses:
If you have any questions about applying, email us.
We look forward to receiving your applications!
Tabitha Hart email@example.com
Bettina Brockmann firstname.lastname@example.org