Preparing to Graduate
Sign Up for Commencement
Students who received degrees in August 2017, December 2017 and August 2018 or have applied to graduate in May 2018 and plan to attend commencement should complete the Intent to Participate form beginning March 5 (the form will be posted soon!). The Intent to Participate form should be completed no later than May 18.
Verify Your Name for the Program
Graduating students will be notified through MySJSU and will receive a postcard in the mail with information on how to make sure their name is correct by March 26.
If you do not wish to have your name appear in the commencement program, please contact University Advancement at 408-924-1120 by April 13.
Grad Fest: March 5 - 8
Caps, Gowns, Hoods
You may purchase regalia at the Spartan Bookstore in the Diaz Compean Student Union beginning during Grad Fest: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday, March 5 to Thursday, March 8. You may also purchase regalia online. All graduates participating in commencement must wear academic regalia.
Graduation announcement samples, pricing and ordering information are available at the Spartan Bookstore. Place your order online or ask a representative for help at the Spartan Bookstore during Grad Fest.
Graduates do not need tickets to participate in commencement. For 2018 spring ceremonies, graduates may claim up to 10 guest tickets. Please visit the guest tickets page for more information (available in early March).
Graduates who need special accommodations may contact the Special Events team with the name, phone number, email address and required accommodations two weeks prior to the commencement ceremony.
Participation in the commencement ceremony has been a long and exciting tradition for students receiving undergraduate, graduate or doctoral degrees from San Jose State.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the deadline to sign up for commencement?
- Where do I get my cap, gown, tassel and hood?
- Can I decorate my cap?
- What type of hood do I wear with my academic regalia?
- What are academic honors?
- Where do I order graduation announcements?
- How do I verify my name will be in the printed commencement program?
- Who do I contact if I need special accommodations at graduation?
- Do graduates need tickets?
- Can I sell my tickets?
- How many guests may I invite?
- I know my department, but what's my college?
- I am earning multiple degrees this year. Can I attend multiple ceremonies?
Day of Commencement
- Where is commencement?
- What time should I arrive?
- Where do I park?
- Where do I go to line up for the ceremony?
- Can my family come see me before the ceremony?
- Will the ceremonies be streamed live?
- What should I bring?
- Can I bring my cell phone?
- Where can I leave my coat, handbag or other personal belongings?
- Which side of my cap does the tassel go on?
- Can my child walk with me during the ceremony?
- Will water be available?
- Will medical help be provided for persons in need?
- Will my name be read out loud at the ceremony?
- Will photos or videos be taken?
- Will there be ASL interpreters at the ceremonies?
- How does the Student Conduct Code apply to commencement?
- When will I receive my diploma?