Preparing to Graduate
Sign Up for Commencement
Students who received degrees in summer 2017, fall 2017 and summer 2018 or have applied to graduate in spring 2018 and plan to attend commencement should complete the Intent to Participate Form no later than May 18.
Update for students graduating in summer 2018: This year, the commencement book will include the names of those that petition for summer (August 2018) graduation. Instead of the regular deadline of June 10, graduate students will need to apply for summer 2018 graduation by March 20, 2018.
For information on verifying you have completed the requirements for your degree, please contact the Registrar's Office at 408-283-7500 (press option 3).
Verify Your Name for the Program
Graduating students will be notified through MySJSU and will receive a postcard in the mail with information on how to make sure their name is correct by March 26.
If you do not wish to have your name appear in the commencement program, please notify your graduation evaluator by March 26.
Regalia and Announcements
Caps, Gowns, Hoods
All graduates participating in commencement must wear academic regalia.
You may purchase regalia and graduation items at the Spartan Bookstore in the Diaz Compean Student Union until June 1. Grad packages with reduced pricing, as well as a la carte items at full price, are available .
If you are unable to come into the bookstore at any time, you may order your regalia online through Herff Jones (not available on the Spartan Bookstore website) from March 1 to April 30. It will ship directly to your home from the vendor, Herff Jones. Shipping charges will be applied and expected arrival is one to two weeks. For more specific shipping dates, please contact Herff Jones.
Latin Honors Medallions are also available for pickup in the bookstore now through June 1.
Graduation announcement samples, pricing and ordering information are available at the Spartan Bookstore. Place your order online or ask a representative for help at the Spartan Bookstore during Grad Fest.
Graduates do not need tickets to participate in commencement. For 2018 spring ceremonies, graduates may claim up to 10 guest tickets. Please visit the guest tickets page for more information (available in April 23).
Graduates who need special accommodations may contact the Special Events team with the name, phone number, email address and required accommodations two weeks prior to the commencement ceremony.
Participation in the commencement ceremony has been a long and exciting tradition for students receiving undergraduate, graduate or doctoral degrees from San Jose State.
Spartan First Destination Survey
All set? Don't forget to take the Career Center's Spartan First Destination Survey.
See where fellow graduates are landing and help SJSU enhance career services for future Spartans by sharing your post-graduation plans in this brief survey.
Respondents are entered in a raffle to win a lifetime Alumni Association membership and one of several $50 gift cards to be awarded throughout the year.
Individual survey responses are kept anonymous.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the deadline to sign up for commencement?
- If I have already applied for spring 2018 graduation, but won't know until May if I need to extend my graduation date to summer 2018, do I need to do anything different?
- Will the GAPE office accept late applications for summer 2018 graduation?
- How can I apply for summer 2018 graduation?
- Where do I get my cap, gown, tassel and hood?
- Can I decorate my cap?
- What type of hood do I wear with my academic regalia?
- What are academic honors?
- Where do I order graduation announcements?
- How do I verify my name will be in the printed commencement program?
- Who do I contact if I need special accommodations at graduation?
- Do graduates need tickets?
- Can I sell my tickets?
- How many guests may I invite?
- I know my department, but what's my college?
- I am earning multiple degrees this year. Can I attend multiple ceremonies?
Day of Commencement
- Where is commencement?
- What time should I arrive?
- Where do I park?
- Where do I go to line up for the ceremony?
- Can my family come see me before the ceremony?
- Will the ceremonies be streamed live?
- What should I bring?
- Can I bring my cell phone?
- Where can I leave my coat, handbag or other personal belongings?
- Which side of my cap does the tassel go on?
- Can my child walk with me during the ceremony?
- Will water be available?
- Will medical help be provided for persons in need?
- Will my name be read out loud at the ceremony?
- Will photos or videos be taken?
- Will there be ASL interpreters at the ceremonies?
- How does the Student Conduct Code apply to commencement?
- When will I receive my diploma?