Eligibility to Participate
You are eligible to participate in Fall 2019 Commencement if you have applied for your degree and meet one of the following criteria:
- Awarded a degree in Summer 2019
- Degree candidates who have applied to graduate in Fall 2019
Questions about applying to graduate? Please see the Registrar's website for details.
*Fall 2019 MS Occupational Therapy graduates participated at Spring 2019 commencement.
Master's graduates in MLIS and MS Data Analytics under the College of Professional and Global Education will be recognized at the Spring 2020 ceremony.
Make Sure to Get Geared Up!
All graduates participating in Commencement must wear academic regalia.
Purchase regalia and graduation items at the Spartan Bookstore in the Diaz Compean Student Union, or online.
Graduates who need special accommodations may contact the Commencement Office with the name, phone number, email address and required accommodations two weeks prior to the commencement ceremony. Please specify if the accommodation is for you as a graduate or one of your guests.
Commencement is a significant and celebratory event, the culmination of years of study and accomplishment.
Those participating in the ceremony are expected to adhere to the following:
- Out of respect for everyone, all students are expected to remain quietly seated until the President confers degrees at the end of the ceremony and the President's party and University faculty have recessed.
- Students, faculty, and administration may not bring babies or young children to participate in the ceremony with them.
- Students may not take selfies or use selfie sticks while crossing the stage.
- After removing hats for and standing through the playing of the National Anthem, degree candidates are expected to remain in their seats throughout the entire ceremony, except when approaching the stage to receive their diploma cover.
All attendees are expected to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Alcohol is not to be brought and/or consumed on campus.
- Smoking is not allowed on campus.
- Due to fire code regulations, guests may not block aisles to take photographs, strollers must be parked in designated areas.
- Balloons, noise makers, beach balls, etc., are not permitted.
- Only authorized photographers and Commencement staff are permitted on and behind the stage area during the ceremony.
- Avoid unnecessary conversation and movement during the exercises.
- Individuals who engage in inappropriate or disruptive behavior may be removed from the event.
Degree candidate seating will be determined based on the number of applicants from the various colleges and departments. As you enter Provident Credit Union Event Center, ushers will direct you to seating organized by your degree and major. Empty spaces are not allowed, and once in a row, you may not move to another seat.
Spartan First Destination Survey
All set? Don't forget to take the Career Center's Spartan First Destination Survey.
See where fellow graduates are landing and help SJSU enhance career services for future Spartans by sharing your post-graduation plans in this brief survey.
Respondents are entered in a raffle to win a lifetime Alumni Association membership and one of several $50 gift cards to be awarded throughout the year.
Individual survey responses are kept anonymous.