Part-Time Contract Personal Counselor
- Demonstrated effectiveness in clinical service with adult individuals, couples and groups;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in counseling with a variety of racial/ethnic groups and diversities including age, socioeconomic status, multi-racial identity, gender, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, disabilities, religion, veterans, etc.
- Clinical experiences using brief therapy model to address complex clinical presentations;
- Strong crisis management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Licensed in the state of California as a Psychologist, MFT, or LCSW.
- Experience providing personal counseling services in a diverse college or university setting;
- Comprehensive understanding of and skilled in providing counseling for ethnically diverse cultures, especially Latino cultures and international students;
- Experience in providing counseling for mental health issues such as substance use, eating disorders and body image, LGBTQ and gender identity, autistic spectrum;
- Experience conducting therapy in Spanish.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Counseling Services, the selected candidate is expected to provide a full range of clinical services, including short-term counseling for students, risk assessment and triage, crisis intervention and management, and case management; provide referrals and consultation for faculty, staff, parents, administrators, and university community members regarding issues that affect the educational, developmental, and psychological well-being of students; and, work collaboratively with other Counseling Services personnel.
Open until filled. Submit statement of interest, vita, and three letters of recommendation, at least two of which are from direct supervisors, to:
- Counseling Services
San José State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0035
Tel. (408) 924-5910
Expected start date of September/October.