Educational Links and Resources
- Memory usually fails because of an initial lack of focus, material was not learned in its context, and lack of motivation. Here are some useful tips to help your memory:
If you can teach something, you know it.
- Use your study sessions as if you are going to teach the material. You will then come away with a solid understanding and improved memory of the material.
- Effective listening in class involves hearing, processing, acknowledging, reacting and assimilating. These active "listening" and engaging in class will also help your memory.
- Avoid marathon and/or last minute study sessions. Cramming is not conducive to memorization.
- Break big tasks into small manageable tasks.
- Study your difficult (or boring) subjects first, not at the end of the day when you are likely to be more exhausted.
- Control test anxiety by exercising, taking deep breaths, and using relaxation techniques and positive thinking.
Study Guides & Strategies (available in various languages!)
GPA Calculator (Advising Hub SJSU GPA Calculator)
Mind Tools (mindtools.com)
Spartan Success Portal - http://www.sjsu.edu/getinvolved/success/index.html (online workshops)
SJSU Assignment Calculator (SJSU MLK Library)
Choice of Major/Career Resources:
Explore Majors/Careers (SJSU Career Center)
O Net Online (The O*NET program is the nation's primary source of occupational information)