MA in Education with a concentration in Counseling and Student Personnel.

MA in Education with a concentration in Counseling and Student Personnel

The Master of Arts degree provides for the following professional specializations:

School Counseling

  • Career and Education Development
  • Crisis Management and Conflict Resolution
  • Student Advocacy
  • Alternative School Counseling
  • Community Education Development
  • Action-Centered Counseling and Consultation

Adult Counseling

  • College and University Counseling and Student Personnel
  • Career Development and Vocational Counseling
  • Human Resource Development Training
  • Transitions Counseling for Adults
  • Psychodrama Methods and Training

The MA in Education with a concentration in Counselling and Student Personnel will qualify the candidate for the Community College Counseling requirements under SB 1725.

The process by which to obtain your MA in Counselor Education is detailed below:

Upon Admission

  • Attend new student orientation
  • Register for prerequisite classes at MySJSU.
  • Add courses in classroom if you miss your enrollment appointments


  • Complete all prerequisite courses
  • Visit the advising assignment page to see who your advisor is

Advanced Courses

  • Take 30 units advanced classes (four required and six elective courses)
  • Once you’ve completed nine letter-graded upper level units, meet with your advisor to complete M.A. candidacy form.
  • Discuss internship with your advisor

Project B

  • Enroll in EDCO 221 to develop a project proposal
  • Enroll in EDCO 298 to complete your project



  • Apply for Award of Master’s Degree during the first month of the semester you plan to graduate
  • Attend Lurie College of Education Reception May