Masters of Art Degree in Education

Master of Arts (MA) in Education with a concentration in Counseling and Student Personnel

The Master of Arts degree is a 48-unit program that provides for the following professional specializations:

School Counseling (with PPS Credential option)

  • Career and Education Development
  • Crisis Management and Conflict Resolution
  • Student Advocacy
  • Alternative School Counseling
  • Community Education Development
  • School and Community Relations

Adult Counseling

  • College and University Counseling and Student Personnel
  • Career Development and Vocational Counseling
  • Human Resource Development Training
  • Transitions Counseling for Adults

The MA in Education with a concentration in Counseling and Student Personnel will qualify the candidate for the Community College Counseling requirements under SB 1725.

MA in Education with a concentration in Counseling and Student Personnel Forms

Completing the Requirements for the MA in Education with a Concentration in Counseling and Student Personnel:

Upon Admission

  • Attend a new student orientation
  • Register in the program’s foundational courses via your one.SJSU portal
  • Add courses during the first week of classes if you miss your enrollment appointment

Foundational Coursework/Requirements

  • Complete the six prerequisite/foundational courses (18 units) before taking advanced coursework
  • Check the Department Advising page to identify your advisor

Advanced Coursework/Requirements

  • Complete 10 (4 required and 6 elective) advanced courses (30 units)
  • Once you successfully complete 9 graded units of advanced coursework, meet with your advisor to complete the M.A. Advancement to Candidacy form [PDF]
  • Discuss fieldwork opportunities with your advisor

Master's Degree Plan B Project or Plan A Thesis

  • Enroll in EDCO 221: Research in Counselor Education to develop a project or research proposal
  • Enroll in EDCO 298: Special Studies in Counselor Education to complete an intervention project (Plan B) or EDCO 299: Master’s Thesis to complete a thesis (Plan A)


  • Apply for Award of Master’s Degree [PDF] during the first month of the semester you plan to graduate
  • Attend the college's graduation Commencement Ceremony and Reception in May