Frequently Asked Questions



Q1. Who is required to undertake fieldwork?

A1. Fieldwork is required for Counselor Education students pursuing the PPSC, LPCC, CWA or all three.  It is also a recommended option to MA-only students.  It is performed while enrolled in EDCO 292, Supervised Experience in Counseling, a 3-unit, credit/no credit semester-long course that requires 200 hours of supervised fieldwork.

Q2. How do I find placement for fieldwork?

A2. Fieldwork is a precursor to employment, and therefore you are asked to approach finding placement very much like finding a job.  Update your resume and follow the specified process for applying to each opportunity.  The Department of Counselor Education assists in placement by inviting representatives from districts and agencies to present available fieldwork placements at its information sessions.  The EDCO website provides placement descriptions and contact information from potential sites as well.  

Q3.  How many hours per week do I need to commit to fieldwork?

A3.  200 hours of fieldwork per semester are required for each 3-unit course.  This works out to 12.5 hours per week over a 16-week semester.  However, site supervisors may prefer a 15 hours per week commitment.  You will also need to account for University and school holidays and paperwork deadlines.  It is best to set and confirm your fieldwork schedule directly with your site supervisor.

Q4.What happens if I am unable to complete my 200 hours within a single semester?

A4.  You will be given an Incomplete.  Once all hours and paperwork are completed and submitted, your University faculty supervisor will submit a Change of Grade to replace the Incomplete with a credit (CR) or no credit (NC) for the course.

Q5. How many hours of fieldwork are required for the MA?

A5.  The EDCO 292 (200 hours) is an optional course for Master’s-only students.  It is strongly recommended. 

Q6. How does one complete the 600 hours of fieldwork required for the Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC)? 

A6.  Students working towards the PPSC must complete a minimum of 600 fieldwork hours.  Of this, 400 hours must be completed within a K-12 public school setting, with 200 hours at each of two different levels (e.g., 200 hours in middle school and 200 hours in high school, or 200 hours in elementary and 200 hours in high school).  All K-12 public school fieldwork experience must be supervised by an on-site supervisor with a PPSC.  The remaining 200 hours can be completed in any educational setting which has an agreement with the Department of Counselor Education, involves counseling or counseling-related experience, and an on-site supervisor who holds a Master’s degree in Counselor Education or a related discipline.

Q7. Can I complete 400 hours at the same fieldwork site?

A7.  Yes, though site supervisors may require a one-year commitment to do so.   If you are pursuing your PPSC and complete 400 hours at one fieldwork site and/or school level, your last 200 hours must be completed at a different K-12 school level. 

Q8Do MA-only candidates need to purchase professional liability insurance if already employed in the institution where fieldwork hours are being obtained?

A8.  PPSC students are covered by a University insurance policy; MA-only students are not.  If you are a MA-only student conducting your fieldwork at your place of employment and are covered under your employer’s liability insurance, you will need to obtain a hard copy letter from your HR department confirming you have coverage.  Submit this letter to the Department of Counselor Education as proof of liability insurance. 

If you are a MA-only student not covered under an employer, you will need to submit an alternate proof of professional liability insurance.  Please contact fieldwork coordinator Amna Jaffer for options.

Q9.If I am pursuing only the Master's Degree (no PPSC), do I have to be enrolled in EDCO 227 before I can sign-up for fieldwork in a college/university setting?

A9. Students who are working towards the Master's degree (and not the PPSC) are not required to take EDCO 227 because its specific focus is on K-12 populations and issues.

Q10. What specific courses need to be completed before taking EDCO 292?

A10.  You must complete EDC0 215, 218, 232 and 248 prior to enrolling in EDCO 292.  If you are working towards the PPSC, completion or concurrent enrollment in EDCO 227 is also required and may be taken concurrently with your first EDCO 292 if not completed prior.

Q11. What other requirements need to be completed before taking one’s first EDCO    292?

A11. Students must complete six requirements before the start of their first EDCO 292.  The six are: 1.) Completion of EDC0 215, 218, 232 and 248 as described above; 2.) C-BEST results (PPSC candidates may present proof of registration); 3.) Proof of Professional Liability insurance (for MA-only candidates; PPSC candidates are covered); 4.) Proof of mandated reporter training; 5.) Fingerprinting (PPSC candidates must present Certificate of Clearance from CTC); and 6.) TB Risk Assessment or Proof of negative TB test performed within the last 3 years; for more information see: https: CA TB risk assessment for schools

Q12. Are there any fieldwork sites that offer paid options?

A12.  The majority of sites do not provide any stipend or monetary compensation.  However, some fieldwork sites do offer stipends, and others vary from semester to semester.

Q13.  If I take two sections of EDCO 292 in a single semester, with which University faculty supervisor do I attend meetings?  Also, do I submit a separate set of paperwork to each of the two faculty supervisors?

A13.  You can alternate meeting attendance between the two University faculty supervisors.   Make sure to inform each faculty supervisor in writing of the fieldwork meetings you are attending and with whom.  You must submit a complete set of paperwork to every faculty supervisor you are enrolled with.   

Q14.  How long are the mandatory EDCO 292 meetings?

A14.  Meetings are approximately 2 hours long and run from 4:00 to 6:00pm.  Students are required to attend the entire session for each of 3 scheduled meetings. 

Q15.  What happens if I miss a mandatory meeting?

A15.  The 3 scheduled mandatory meetings are an essential and required component of fieldwork supervision.  In the event you are unable to attend a given meeting, you will be required to complete an alternate assignment.  Please make sure to inform your University faculty supervisor or supervisors in advance of any absence and the reason for that absence, and clarify the work required by the alternate assignment.

Q16How often will the University faculty supervisor visit at the fieldwork site? 

A16.  Your University faculty supervisor will visit the fieldwork site at least once each semester.  This visit may be in person, via teleconferencing or through other conferencing means. 

Q17. What takes place during a fieldwork site visit?

A17.  Your University faculty supervisor will meet with you and your site supervisor to review evaluation criteria and check in on goals.  Discussion may include progress of the fieldwork, specific experiences, the nature of counseling tasks, how to benefit, and areas of strength and future growth, among other topics.   Any specific concern you may have will be addressed at this time by your University faculty supervisor to ensure your fieldwork experience is productive and enjoyable.


(Revised 04/25/2017)