Professional Liability Insurance

All fieldwork candidates are required to have professional liability insurance during the semesters they are enrolled in EDCO 292.

If you are a Pupil Personnel Services Candidate conducting fieldwork, you are covered by the San Jose State University Student Professional Liability Insurance Program (SPLIP).  The SPLIP Certificate and Summary are provided below.  Please familiarize yourself with the information provided in the Summary. You do need to take any action to be covered by this program, you are automatically covered.

Those who are not in the PPS Credential Program but are choosing to take fieldwork must provide proof of professional liability insurance for the semester/s that they are enrolling in EDCO 292. 

If you are a MA-only student conducting your fieldwork at your place of employment and are covered under your employer’s liability insurance, you will need to obtain a hard copy letter from your HR department confirming you have coverage.  Submit this letter to the Department of Counselor Education as proof of liability insurance.

If you are a MA-only student not covered under an employer, you will need to submit an alternate proof of professional liability insurance.  Please contact fieldwork coordinator Amy Gutierrez <> for options.

Student Professional Liability Insurance Summary

Certificate of Liability Insurance