Computer Science Change of Major Policy
The Computer Science program is impacted, so that not all students can be accepted into the program. Accordingly, the Department of Computer Science now has a Change of Major Policy which applies to all students, except that Former Students Returning who were CS majors in good standing when they left SJSU will normally be readmitted to the major. In particular, the Change of Major Policy applies to all other Former Students Returning, and to all students seeking a second major in Computer Science.
Details of the policy are:
- Students must be in good academic standing to be considered for a Change of Major.
- Applicants must have achieved both a sufficiently high SJSU Cumulative GPA and a sufficiently high GPA in courses that are required for the major at the time that the application is submitted. For 2017-18, a GPA of 3.4 of higher is sufficient in both cases.
- Applicants must have completed the following courses with a C or better by the end
of the semester the application is submitted:
CS46A, CS46B, CS49J*, Math 42, (students with fewer than 60 units)
CS46A, CS46B, MATH30, MATH31, MATH42, one upper division CS course (students with 60 or more units, but less than 90)
Other academic variables will be considered
- According to Presidential Directive 200905, students who have earned 90 units or more may not change majors except by special permission. Also, any request for change of major may be denied for students whose time remaining to complete the requirements for a degree would significantly increase.
- Applications will be accepted twice per year, with deadlines of December 1st for Spring semester (notification by approximately January 20) and May 1st for Fall semester (notification by approximately June 15). A complete Change of Major application consists of the appropriate University's Change of Major form (fewer than 90 units) and a transcript as well as a transcript of courses not yet posted on MySJSU, if any.
- Review of applications will occur only after the application deadline.
- Applications for Change of Major should be submitted to the College of Science Advising Center
- Due to impaction, even if the student has met all the requirements, there is no guarantee of admission to the Computer Science major. Final admission will depend on the capacity of the new major and the ranking based on the Computer Science GPA and the SJSU Cumulative GPA. For 2017-18, students with a 3.5 GPA in both cases are very likely to be admitted.
- The department follows this change of major policy for reinstatement.
Questions? Contact College of Science Advising Center
*CS49J is considered to be a required course for those students, and only those students, who need it to satisfy the CS146 prerequisite requirement.