BA Handbook Graduation Procedure
Students must meet with the Dance Advisor to begin the graduation process at the end of the junior year. The Major Form for graduation must be completed and then signed by the Dance Advisor and Dance Coordinator. The student will then file for graduation, pay the graduation fee and then take the receipt and the Major Form to the Music Office. The Director of the School of Music and Dance will sign the Major Form and forward it to the graduation office.
Student Learning Objectives
The following learning objectives were adopted by the program in April 2008 as prescribed by the National Association of Schools of Dance of which the university is a member.
Students holding undergraduate liberal arts degrees must have:
- The ability to identify and work conceptually with the elements of dance.
- An understanding of the choreographic processes, aesthetic properties of style, and the ways these shape and are shaped by artistic and cultural ideas and contexts.
- An acquaintance with a wide selection of dance repertory, the principal eras, genres, and cultural sources.
- The ability to develop and defend critical evaluations.
- Fundamental knowledge of the body and of kinesiology as applicable to work in dance.
Students holding undergraduate liberal arts degrees must develop:
- Ability in performing consistent with the goals and objectives of the specific liberal arts degree program being followed, and appropriate to the individual's needs and interests.
- An understanding of procedures for realizing a variety of dance styles.
- Knowledge and/or skills in one or more areas of dance beyond basic course work and performance appropriate to the individual's needs and interests, and consistent with the goals and objectives of the specific liberal arts degree program being followed.