Graphic Design Degrees and Forms

degrees and forms

Our mission is to educate students in the realm of visual communication design.

The Graphic Design program at the San José State University offers two degrees: a BA in Design Studies, and a BFA in Graphic Design. The Graphic Design Program admits every student as a BA Design Studies Major. Admission to the BFA Graphic Design program is by portfolio review only—after the completion of DsGD 100, students are eligible to apply for pre-admission to BFA Graphic Design Program.

BA—Bachelor of Arts in Design Studies (Liberal Arts Degree)
Program for students who wish a broad-based study of graphic design principles, history and theory. The requirements will provide an understanding of the aesthetic as well as the technical skills needed to produce innovative design projects. Students are encouraged to combine their studies in design with electives in the arts and other fields.

BFA—Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design (Professional Degree)
This program prepares students for intellectually and aesthetically challenging careers in Graphic Design by providing courses that emphasize theory and professional practice. The program concentrates on the organization and visual communication of information and includes typography, form and image, information architecture, user interface, interactive design, and motion graphics. Passage of two portfolio reviews is required for admission to the program. Passage of two Junior and two Senior Reviews is required to advance through the BFA GD program. All students are required to complete a professional internship. In addition to the regular curriculum, students have the opportunity to attend special classes and workshops led by studio professionals and faculty members. Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale in all art/design courses; failing this, the BFA status will be changed to the BA-Art Design Studies.


Important Note: To be awarded a minor, at least 12 units of coursework must be completely distinct and separate from the coursework in the major (University Policy S16-4).

Students that want to pursue one of our minors should:
• Meet with an advisor;
• Obtain advisor signature on their Minor form (when student completes the required 12 distinct units);
• Confirm with the H&A Student Success Center that it meets University rules.

For more information on individual courses in this major, visit the SJSU catalog.