Interior Design FAQs

IT FaqsQ: What is the difference between BA Design Studies and BFA Interior Design?

A: The Interior Design Program admits every student as BA Design Studies. Upon the completion of DsIT 33 and DsIT 34 and with at least 3.0 GPA, Students are eligible to apply for pre-admission to BFA Interior Design.

Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Design Studies—Program for students who wish a broad-based study of interior design principles, history and theory. The requirements will provide an understanding of the aesthetic as well as the technical skills needed to produce innovative design projects. Students are encouraged to combine their studies in design with electives in the arts and other fields.

Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Interior Design—This program prepares students for intellectually and aesthetically challenging careers in Interior Design by providing courses that emphasize in theory, innovation and professional practice.

The program concentrates on the spatial innovation and technology which includes spatial planning of Interior Architecture Space, Method of construction of furniture, building codes, 3-D fabrication of forms and shapes, Specifications of materials and finishes, Augmented Virtual Reality/ Virtual Reality. Portfolio review is required for admission to the BFA program. All students are required to complete a professional internship. Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale in all art/design courses; failing this, the BFA status will be changed to the BA-Art Design Studies even if you have passed the portfolio review.

Q: How do I apply for the Interior Design Program?

A: Please click here for complete information on SJSU Admissions.

Q: What are the admission criteria for fall 2020?

A: Admission policies for fall 2020 are available here.

Q: What should I take in Junior/Community College to prepare for BA Design Studies (Interior Design area)? What classes transfer from my Junior/Community College?

A: Any drawing, photo, art history, and digital applications (Adobe Creative Suite) are good preparation for transferring to SJSU. Lists are available here

For questions about academic plan, progress, transfer units, and GE fulfillments, please contact the general advisors at H&A Student Success Center at Clark Hall Room 244, Phone: 408.924.5095, E-mail:, Website:

Q: Should I take all of my GE classes at a Junior/Community College?

A: Transfer students should try to finish all their lower GE at the community college prior entering SJSU. Students who enter as freshmen could take three Interior Design major courses along with two GE courses each semester.

Q: I already have a Bachelor’s degree. Can I still apply to SJSU?

A: Unfortunately SJSU is not currently accepting students interested in pursuing a second Bachelor’s degree. In addition, the Interior Design program does not currently offer a graduate degree.

Q: I am a current SJSU student. Can I change my major to BA Design Studies (Interior Design area)?

A: Yes, we welcome students who have GPA of 3.0 and above to join the program. Please obtain the proper change of major form here.

Q: Is there a portfolio review for admission?

A: At this time, there is no portfolio review for admission for our BA Program. However, a Portfolio Review is required to gain admission to our BFA Program.

Q: When should I apply for BFA Interior Design?

A: We accept every student as BA Design Studies. After the completion of DsIT 33 & DSIT 34, students are eligible to apply for pre-admission to the BFA Interior Design degree. Portfolio review is required.

Q: What kind of work should I submit for the BFA Interior Design Review?

A: Selected work from all of your previous SJSU Interior design courses up till dsIT 33 & dsIT 34.

Q: What type of computer will I need?

A: Our students use both PCs and Macs; go with what you are most comfortable using Laptops are required (at least 15 inch monitor is recommended), as many classes require work in class to be done on a laptop. Computers should be fast enough to run the minimum system requirements for Adobe Creative Suite, Revit, Sketch-Up, Modo and N scape or Lumion.

Q: What computer programs will I need?

A: San José State provides currently enrolled students in eligible classes with free Adobe software for their campus computers and their home computers. You can also obtain free software from AUTODESK and Lumion as long as you are SJSU students.

Q: Who do I contact for advice regarding Interior Design classes?

A: For all general information about the Graphic Design Program please contact Design Department Office
: Art Building 120, 408-924-4340,

For questions about your major courses (prerequisite approval, substitution, and graduation application, please bring your major form and unofficial transcript to see the interior design major advisors—Prof. Virginia San Fratello, Prof. Diana Seah, —during their office hours (you can acquire their office hours at Art Building 120).