African American Faculty and Staff Association
Chair: Dr. Oscar Battle, Jr.
The mission of AAFSA is to form coalitions throughout campus and the San José community to identify issues of concern to the San Jose State African-American community and to unify efforts to address those issues. Formed in 1974, AAFSA's goals and objectives:
- To promote African-American faculty, staff and student success;
- To expand and share knowledge of African-American contributions to society;
- To promote support for Africentric principles and theories as an integral part of critical thinking in higher education;
- To develop a progressive agenda to guide future plans to better meet the needs of its members;
- To be proactive in addressing issues of concern to African-Americans at San Jose State;
- To serve as a resource for African-Americans at San Jose State;
- To provide opportunities for frequent interactions among African-Americans at San Jose State through regular monthly meetings, seminars, workshops, forums, conventions, etc.