Faculty: Jeffrey Rogers Hummel
SJSU Courses Taught
ECON 1A: Principles of Macroeconomics
ECON 102: Macroeconomic Analysis
ECON/HIST 113A: Economic History of the United States (formerly Econ 111)
ECON 135: Money and Banking
ECON 202: Seminar in Macroeconomic Analysis (Graduate)
ECON 235: Seminar in Monetary Theory (Graduate)
HIST 176: The American Way of War: Civil War (History Dept.)
(408) 924-5418 (Campus office)
(925) 926-0807 (Home office)
Tuesdays and Thursdays, by appointment
- Monetary Theory and History
- Economics of War and Defense
- Economics of Slavery
- U.S. Economic History
- U.S. Civil War
Associate Professor, Economics
Jeff Hummel is the author of Emancipating Slaves, Enslaving Free Men: A History of the American Civil War (Chicago: Open Court, 1996). He teaches both economics and history, and before joining the SJSU economics faculty in the fall of 2002, lectured as an adjunct at Golden Gate University and Santa Clara University. He served in the U.S. Army as a tank platoon leader during the early seventies, was Publications Director for the Independent Institute in Oakland, CA, in the late eighties, and was a National Fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University, for the 2001-2002 academic year.
Emancipating Slaves, Enslaving Free Men: A History of the American Civil War
(Chicago: Open Court, 1996).
- "Some Possible Consequences of a U.S. Government Default," Econ Journal Watch, 9 (January 2012)
- "Why Default on U.S. Treasuries is Likely," Library of Economics and Liberty (August 2009)
- "Greenspan's Monetary Policy in Retrospect: Discretion or Rules?" (with David R. Henderson), Cato Briefing Paper, No. 109 (November 3, 2008)
Select working papers:
- "Ben Bernanke Versus Milton Friedman: The Federal Reserve's Emergence as the U.S. Economy's Central Planner," October 2010
- "The Fugitive Slave Act of 1850: Symbolic Gesture or Rational Guarantee?" (with Barry R. Weingast) January 2006
Scripts for audio tapes produced by Knowledge Products:
Articles and reviews published in:
- Journal of Economic History
- Independent Review
- Texas Law Review
- International Philosophical Quarterly
- and numerous other publications ...
- History of the American Government and Economy, Price Fishback , ed.
- Anarchy and the Law: The Political Economy of Choice, Edward P. Stringham, ed.
- The Myth of National Defense, Hans-Hermann Hoppe, ed.
- Reassessing the Presidency, John V. Denson, ed.
- Arms, Politics, and the Economy, Robert Higgs, ed.
- Encyclopedia of American Business History and Biography
- Ph.D. History, University of Texas, Austin, 2001
- B.A. History, Grove City College, 1971