We see leadership preparation as learning to make connections, leverage resources, and to create solutions with other leaders in public education.
There is a demonstrable need for Ed.D. programs for the state, and for the region. More than 8 in 10 California superintendents will be eligible for retirement in the next five years. In Santa Clara County alone, nearly 1,000 administrators serve 398 schools.
The SJSU Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership is an engaged scholarly community comprised of students and faculty who collaborate to find practical and evidence-based solutions to contemporary issues in public education.
-Interim Dean Paul W. Cascella, Lurie College of Education
"We want wise and creative leaders who know they don't have all the answers, who can reflect and self-correct."
- Arnold Danzig, Ph.D., Ed.D. Program Director
About SJSU's Ed.D. program
- Anticipated students to be mid-career professionals ― principals, assistant-superintendents, superintendents, directors, teacher leaders, non-profits and educational foundations
- 3 year (nine semester) doctoral program beginning in the summer semester
- Cohort model with 15 students
- 1st year summer intensive ― 3 classes meet 5 weeks (3 days/week Monday, Wednesday, Thursday) on campus
- Fall and spring classes ― 1 evening per week (blended hybrid) and 2-4 weekends (Saturday, all day) per semester ( 2 classes)
- Second summer of program is global experience ― 15 days out-of-country and combination of weekday, evening, or Saturday classes before global experience
- Doctoral advisors assigned during fall semester of year one of the program
- Anticipated costs = $20,036/year and one-time $3,000 international travel fee
- 10% of total tuition returned to eligible students via scholarship/tuition remission