About the Ed.D. program
We see leadership preparation as learning to make connections, leverage resources, and to create solutions with other leaders in public education.
There is a demonstrable need for Ed.D. programs for the state, and for the region. More than 8 in 10 California superintendents will be eligible for retirement in the next five years. In Santa Clara County alone, nearly 1,000 administrators serve 398 schools.
"The SJSU Ed.D. program will help develop successive classes of engaged educational leaders who forge lifelong networks through the program and help serve as a next generation leadership vanguard for quality public school education."
- Dean Elaine Chin, Connie L. Lurie College of Education at San José State University
"We want wise and creative leaders who know they don't have all the answers, who can reflect and self-correct."
- Arnold Danzig, Ph.D., Ed.D. Program Director
About SJSU's Ed.D. program
- Anticipated students to be mid-career professionals ― principals, assistant-superintendents, superintendents, directors, teacher leaders, non-profits and educational foundations
- 3 year (nine semester) doctoral program beginning in Summer 2014
- Cohort model with 15 students
- 1st year summer intensive ― 3 classes meet 5 weeks (3 days/week Monday, Wednesday, Thursday) on campus
- Fall and spring classes ― 1 evening per week (blended hybrid) and 3 weekends( Friday evening and Saturday) per semester ( 2 classes)
- Second summer of program is global experience ― 17 days out-of-country and two weeks of on-campus classes.
- Doctoral advisors assigned upon entering to the program
- Anticipated costs = $17,228/year + $3,000 international travel fee (10% of total tuition
returned to students via scholarship/tuition remission