How to Apply
Checklist of Required Application Documents
Applying to the Ed.D. Program is a two-step process. The first step is to apply to the San Jose State University through Cal State Apply for Summer 2019, which opens on November 1, 2018. The second step is to apply for admission to the program.
ALL of the following must be completed by the admission deadline to be considered into the Ed.D. program:
Step 1. Admission to the University Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations (GAPE)
- Apply online at Cal State Apply.
- Submit one set of officially sealed transcript from each college where you studied (No Professional Development Transcripts will be accepted. Transcripts must also include narrative if work was completed at a non-graded institution). Send or deliver transcript to:
Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0017
Step 2. Admission to the Ed.D. Leadership Program
Submit the following information to email@example.com or to the Ed.D. Leadership Program Office listed below:
- Ed.D. Application Form [pdf].
- One set of official/unofficial transcripts for each college or university attended.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation attesting to your leadership ability and potential for success in a doctoral program. One of the letters should be from your school district or employer indicating support for participating in doctoral studies. Recommendation forms are available on the Ed.D. Leadership Program webpage at: Recommendation letters should be submitted directly from the person writing the recommendation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or the address listed below.
- Current professional resume or curriculum vitae that include leadership experience and/or leadership strengths as indicated through job experiences, administrative credentials, and/or other evidence of leadership capacity and practice; not to exceed 4 pages.
- A written statement of purpose, which explains your reasons for pursuing doctoral studies in educational leadership. Please indicate your history and background and some of the core commitments and principles, which drive your career goals. Also discuss some of the challenges facing education and educational leadership in California, nationally, and globally; 2- 3 pages maximum, single spaced.
- A recent writing sample (last 5 years) of your individually authored research, reports, and/or papers (maximum of 20 pages). Your writing sample should be single authored and include citations and references. The writing sample is intended for you to demonstrate ability to craft a meaningful argument on an education-related topic and to cite research/literature to support your view. A PowerPoint presentation would not meet this requirement.
For full consideration, the deadline for all required application documents is
March 1, 2019. Applications received after the deadline will be considered until the 2019 cohort is filled. Documents should be submitted to email@example.com.
Reminder: YOUR APPLICATION IS CONSIDERED INCOMPLETE UNTIL ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED!