Ed.D. Admission Requirements
Thank you for your interest in the San José State University Ed.D. in Educational Leadership program. Read on for requirements and application information.
The Ed.D. program is designed to admit candidates who meet the academic requirements for rigorous doctoral study and who possess personal qualities and professional experiences that suggest a strong potential for success both as doctoral students and as educational leaders.
Meeting the minimum requirements qualifies an individual for consideration but does not guarantee admission to the program. Additional candidate qualifications proposed by SJSU district partners include strong oral and written communication skills, organizational aptitude, and excellent problem-solving ability. Admission will be granted on a competitive basis.
The Ed.D. program requires the following of all applicants for admission to the doctoral program:
- The applicant holds an acceptable baccalaureate degree and master's degree earned at a regionally accredited institution of higher education, or the applicant has completed equivalent academic preparation as determined by the Office of Graduate Studies & Research.
- The applicant has attained a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in upper division and graduate study combined.
- The applicant was in good standing at the last attended institution of higher education.
- The applicant has demonstrated sufficient preparation for, experiences in, and potential for educational leadership, including successful experience in school, postsecondary, community, and/or policy leadership; academic excellence, problem-solving ability, and technology proficiency; and interest in critically assessing and improving current educational policies and practices.
- The applicant, if born and educated in a country in which the native language is not English, has demonstrated English-language proficiency by achieving a SJSU-published minimum score on one of the three accepted English-proficiency exams.
Applications for Summer 2017 will open November 1st.
Completed application to the Ed.D program requires:
- Ed.D. Application Form [pdf] to the Ed.D. Program
- One set of official/unofficial transcripts for each college or university attended.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation attesting to your leadership ability and potential for success in a doctoral program. One of the letters should be from your school district or employer indicating support for participating in doctoral studies. Recommendation forms [pdf] are available on the Ed.D. Leadership Program webpage at: www.sjsu.edu/edd. Recommendation letters should be submitted directly from the person writing the recommendation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or the address listed below.
- Current professional resume or curriculum vitae that include leadership experience and/or leadership strengths as indicated through job experiences, administrative credentials, and/or other evidence of leadership capacity and practice; not to exceed 4 pages.
- A written statement of purpose, which explains your reasons for pursuing doctoral studies in educational leadership. Please indicate your history and background and some of the core commitments and principles, which drive your career goals. Also discuss some of the challenges facing education and educational leadership in California, nationally, and globally; 2- 3 pages maximum, single spaced.
- A recent writing sample (last 5 years) of your individually authored research, reports, and/or papers (maximum of 20 pages). Your writing sample should be single authored and include citations and references. The writing sample is intended for you to demonstrate ability to craft a meaningful argument on an education-related topic and to cite research/literature to support your view. A PowerPoint presentation would not meet this requirement.
Send applications materials:
- By email to: email@example.com
Applicants interested in applying for admission to the doctoral program are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).