Ed.D. Admission Requirements
Thank you for your interest in the San José State University Ed.D. in Educational Leadership program. Read on for requirements and application information.
The Ed.D. program is designed to admit candidates who meet the academic requirements for rigorous doctoral study and who possess personal qualities and professional experiences that suggest a strong potential for success both as doctoral students and as educational leaders.
Meeting the minimum requirements qualifies an individual for consideration but does not guarantee admission to the program. Additional candidate qualifications proposed by SJSU district partners include strong oral and written communication skills, organizational aptitude, and excellent problem-solving ability. Admission will be granted on a competitive basis.
The Ed.D. program requires the following of all applicants for admission to the doctoral program:
- The applicant holds an acceptable baccalaureate degree and master's degree earned at a regionally accredited institution of higher education, or the applicant has completed equivalent academic preparation as determined by the Office of Graduate Studies & Research.
- The applicant has attained a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in upper division and graduate study combined.
- The applicant was in good standing at the last attended institution of higher education.
- The applicant has demonstrated sufficient preparation for, experiences in, and potential for educational leadership, including successful experience in school, postsecondary, community, and/or policy leadership; academic excellence, problem-solving ability, and technology proficiency; and interest in critically assessing and improving current educational policies and practices.
- The applicant, if born and educated in a country in which the native language is not English, has demonstrated English-language proficiency by achieving a SJSU-published minimum score on one of the three accepted English-proficiency exams.
Applications for Summer 2014 is now closed. Applications for Summer 2015 will open November 1st. Completed application to the Ed.D program requires:
- Application Form [pdf] to the Ed.D. Program
- Official Transcripts (undergraduate and graduate)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation/attesting to the leadership ability and scholarship of the candidate, including a separate letter/statement of support from the applicant's employer/school district indicating support for the candidate's doctoral studies (open the form in PDF)
- CV or resume that includes leadership experience and/or leadership strengths as indicated through job experiences, administrative credentials, and/or other evidence of leadership capacity and practice
- 3-5 page written statement of purpose reflecting understanding of the challenges facing the public schools in California, nationally, and globally; Also indicate areas of interests and possible topic areas which you would like to focus your doctoral studies and indicate the names of 1 or 2 Ed.D. faculty members (core or affiliated faculty) that you would like to work during your doctoral program. Please read through faculty bios to respond to this requirement.
- Extended sample of your individually authored writing as evidence of your ability to integrate ideas and bring evidence (research) to bear on an education-related topic
- Personal interview (semi-finalists only)
- Other relevant information such as evidence of proficiency in a second language, international experiences, fellowships and awards, and exemplary leadership experiences
Send applications materials:
- By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By regular mail to:
Ed.D. Leadership Program
Connie L. Lurie College of Education
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0064
Applicants interested in applying for admission to the doctoral program are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).