The Educational Leadership Program at San Jose State University will be accepting credential and M.A. students for spring 2017.
We are currently revising this website and our application process to better serve our students. The updated program will be posted online by September 30.
If you are interested in the program and would like more information, or would like to be notified when the new applications materials are available, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spring Semester Start
University deadline: November 1
Department deadline: November 15
Students applying by November 1 will be able to start the program in late January, 2017.
Students applying by November 1 will be notified of acceptance by November 30.
Fall Early Admissions
Students applying by this deadline will know by March 1 if they have been accepted into the program and can begin planning their futures.
University deadline: February 1, 2017
Department deadline: February 15, 2017
Fall Traditional Admissions
Students applying by this deadline will know by June 1 if they have been accepted into the program and can begin planning their futures.
University deadline: May 1, 2017
Department deadline: May 15, 2017
The Application Process
Candidates for Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (Tier 1), the Administrative Intern Credential, and the M.A. in Educational Administration (K-12) (with credential) must complete a two-step application process.
- They must apply to SJSU Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluaton (GAPE) online.
- They must apply directly to the department of Educational Leadership by mail.
Candidates must complete an online application at www.csumentor.edu. Paper applications will not be processed. A non-refundable, $55.00 fee is charged.
1. When completing the online application, please choose from one of the two viable program options:
- If you are seeking a credential only, select "Credential: Preliminary Administrative Services"
- If you are seeking a credential and MA, select "Education, Concentration in ADM & Supervision"
2. Official, sealed, transcripts covering the last 60 units of BA/BS and/or MA degrees and credentials must be obtained by the candidate, then mailed by the candidate to GAPE. *No Professional development transcripts will not be accepted and transcripts must include narrative if work was completed at a non-graded institution.
Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations
Attn: Ed Leadership Evaluator
San José State University
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0017
Educational Leadership Department Application
Candidates must complete an online application. The application includes following 4 components. Incomplete applications will not be processed until all missing documents are received by the Department of Educational Leadership office.
THE ONLINE APPLICATION WILL BE AVAILABLE BY SEPTEMBER 30.
- A Department of Educational Leadership personal information form.
- Either letter of recommendation from the school principal addressing potential success as an educational leader and graduate student, or letter emailed to email@example.com.
- A scanned copy of your California Professional Clear Credential. For the regular cohorts, a minimum of 3 years teaching experience before starting the program and with a California Credential, is required. CBEST must be passed before applying to for the Tier 1 credential.
- A current resume.
- A 3-page essay responding to one of the following prompts:
In the study and practice of education, educators often make critical decisions and assertions about issues in schools without considering all of the competing perspectives. Sometimes these educators fail to ask the difficult questions in order to thoroughly examine issues. What are the principles that inform your views on educational opportunity as it relates to social justice and equity? How do your experiences and life’s lessons inform these beliefs?
As you respond to this prompt, refer to the current educational issues in the United States and more specifically California. Be sure to address your leadership perspectives as they relate to the current issues through a social justice lens.
Strong educational leadership for tomorrow’s schools requires an understanding and application of three main concepts: Collaboration to develop and maintain student academic success; Clear development and maintenance of organizational systems; Unrelenting focus on social justice and equity. What are the principles that inform your views on educational opportunity as it relates to the above three concepts? How do your experiences and life’s lessons inform these beliefs?
As you respond to this prompt, refer to the current educational issues in the United States and more specifically California. Be sure to address your leadership perspectives as they relate to these concepts.
Additional CTC Requirements
In order to qualify for the Preliminary Administration Credential at the completion of the program, you must have a minimum of 3 years teaching experience under a Clear Teaching Credential at time of admittance. Per CTC Standards, you must have a minimum total 5 years of teaching experience under a Clear Teaching Credential to be considered for the Preliminary Administration Credential. You will obtain 2 of these years while enrolled in the program