The Educational Leadership Program at San Jose State University is accepting credential and M.A. students for Fall 2017.
Fall Priority Admissions
Students applying by this deadline will know by March 1 if they have been accepted into the program and can begin planning their futures.
University deadline: February 1, 2017
Department deadline: February 15, 2017
Fall Traditional Admissions
Students applying by this deadline will know by June 1 if they have been accepted into the program and can begin planning their futures.
University deadline: May 1, 2017
Department deadline: May 20, 2017
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and fees are set by the University and are listed on the Bursar's page. For spring 2017, the anticipate tuition and fees is approximately $4300.
The Application Process
Candidates for Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (Tier 1), the Administrative Intern Credential, and the M.A. in Educational Administration (K-12) (with credential) must complete a two-step application process.
- They must apply to SJSU Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluaton (GAPE) online.
- They must apply directly to the department of Educational Leadership by mail.
Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE):
Candidates must complete an online application at www.csumentor.edu. Paper applications will not be processed. A non-refundable, $55.00 fee is charged.
1. When completing the online application, please choose from one of the two viable program options:
- If you are seeking a credential only, select "Credential: Preliminary Administrative Services"
- If you are seeking a credential and MA, select "Education, Concentration in ADM & Supervision"
2. Official, sealed, transcripts covering the last 60 units of BA/BS and/or MA degrees and credentials must be obtained by the candidate, then mailed by the candidate to GAPE. *No Professional development transcripts will not be accepted and transcripts must include narrative if work was completed at a non-graded institution.
Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations
Attn: Ed Leadership Evaluator
San José State University
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0017
Educational Leadership Department Application
Candidates must complete an online application.
- Online application information form
- A letter of recommendation from the school principal addressing potential success as an educational leader and graduate student, or letter emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A scanned copy of your California Professional Clear Credential.
- A current resume.
- A 750 word essay responding to one of the following prompts:
In the study and practice of education, educators often make critical decisions and assertions about issues in schools without considering all of the competing perspectives. Sometimes these educators fail to ask the difficult questions in order to thoroughly examine issues. What are the principles that inform your views on educational opportunity as it relates to social justice and equity? How do your experiences and life’s lessons inform these beliefs?
As you respond to this prompt, refer to the current educational issues in the United States and more specifically California. Be sure to address your leadership perspectives as they relate to the current issues through a social justice lens.
Strong educational leadership for tomorrow’s schools requires an understanding and application of three main concepts: Collaboration to develop and maintain student academic success; Clear development and maintenance of organizational systems; Unrelenting focus on social justice and equity. What are the principles that inform your views on educational opportunity as it relates to the above three concepts? How do your experiences and life’s lessons inform these beliefs?
As you respond to this prompt, refer to the current educational issues in the United States and more specifically California. Be sure to address your leadership perspectives as they relate to these concepts.