Please note that there are 2 parts to the application process; both parts must be
completed in order to be admitted into the program:
1) SJSU GAPE (University Application)
2) Educational Leadership (Department Application)
Part 1: SJSU Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) Requirements
1) Admission to SJSU GAPE: You are required to complete an on-line application at:
(Paper applications will not be processed. A non-refundable, $55.00 fee is charged.)
csumentor page 1 notes:
Please choose from one of the two viable program options:
Credential: Preliminary Administrative Services
Education, Concentration in ADM & Supervision
(Credential & MA)
2) You are also required to submit official transcripts for the last 60 units of your
BA/BS and/or MA degrees and credentials. Each applicant should request and obtain
his or her transcript(s), THEN mail the sealed official transcript(s) directly to:
Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations
Attn: Ed Leadership Evaluator
San José State University
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0017
*No Professional Development Transcripts will be accepted.* (Transcripts must also
include narrative if work was completed at a non-graded institution.)
Part 2: Educational Leadership Department Application Process
1) All applicants must complete the Ed Leadership Application [pdf].
2) Each applicant must submit one original, signed letter of recommendation from his or her school principal. The letter should address the applicant's potential for success as an educational leader and as a graduate student.
3) Each application must include a 3-page admission essay. Please see below for two essay prompts. Choose one essay prompt for your admission essay.
A. In the study and practice of education, educators often make critical decisions and assertions about issues in schools without considering all of the competing perspectives. Sometimes these educators fail to ask the difficult questions in order to thoroughly examine issues.
What are the principles that inform your views on educational opportunity as it relates to social justice and equity? How do your experiences and life’s lessons inform these beliefs?
As you write to this prompt, refer to the current educational issues in the United States and more specifically California. Be sure to address your leadership perspectives as they relate to the current issues through a social justice lens.
B. Strong educational leadership for tomorrow’s schools requires an understanding and application of three main concepts:
- Collaboration to develop and maintain student academic success
- Clear development and maintenance of organizational systems
- Unrelenting focus on social justice and equity
What are the principles that inform your views on educational opportunity as it relates to the above three concepts? How do your experiences and life’s lessons inform these beliefs?
As you write to this prompt, refer to the current educational issues in the United States and more specifically California. Be sure to address your leadership perspectives as they relate to these concepts.
4) Finally, each applicant needs to submit a copy of his or her California Professional Clear Credential. Please note – All prospective students must have at least 3 years of teaching experience with a California Credential before starting the program. Additionally, the CBEST must be passed prior to applying for the Tier 1 credential.
The above 4 items complete the required components of the department application packet.
So, your department application must contain the following 4 items:
1) Ed Leadership Application
2) Letter of Recommendation from School Principal
3) 3-Page Admission Essay
4) Copy of your California Professional Clear Credential
Applications that do not contain all 4 components listed above will not be processed until all missing documents are received by the Department of Educational Leadership office. When your department application is complete, please mail your application packet to:
Department of Educational Leadership
San José State University
One Washington Square, SH 219
San José, CA 95192-0072
Ed Leadership Application [pdf]