Apply for Preliminary Credential
If you will not be in an administrative role at the conclusion of the program, we advise all students to apply for their Certificate of Eligibility.
The Preliminary Administrative Credential can only be obtained if you have already secured an offer of employment in an administrator position and have a verification of at least 5 years of teaching experience under a Clear Teaching Credential.
Applying for Certificate of Eligibility/Tier 1 Administrative Credential
The Certificate of Eligibility tells a prospective employer that you are eligible for a Preliminary Administrative Credential. It verifies completion of all requirements for the Preliminary credential and authorizes you to seek employment as an administrator. All graduate coursework expires after 7 years, and students who do not apply for their credential before their coursework expires will be required to repeat them. However, once you apply for the Certificate of Eligibility you will only be evaluated under the current requirements and standards and the Certificate will not expire.Do not wait to apply since our programs are regulated by the state (CTC) and requirements and standards may change.
If you have already secured and administrative position, you can apply for the Prelimiinary (Tier 1) Credential. The process is the same, with the addition of the verification of employment form, signed by your employer.
The steps for completing your applications are available on the Credential Office website.
Below are some tips for completing the application process:
- Your program contract MUST be signed by the department chair. Fax your completed program contract to 408-924-3612 or email to email@example.com.
- Make sure to pay your application fee online.
- Official SJSU transcripts reflecting the completion of ALL required coursework must be submitted with your application. You must also provide official transcripts for any coursework completed outside of SJSU if it was used to waive a course in the program. How to request for transcripts: http://www.sjsu.edu/registrar/students/transcripts/
- Make a copy of everything you submit.
- Make sure to complete all parts of the Credential Office Information Sheet before going to the credential office, including your SSN and your application fee receipt number.