A school administrator is an educational leader who promotes the success of all students by understanding, responding to, and influencing the larger political, social, economic, legal, and cultural context.
To achieve Standard 6, an educational leader must operate within a larger context:
- View oneself as a leader of a team and also as a member of a larger team.
- Ensure that the school operates consistently within the parameters of federal, state, and local laws, policies, regulations, and statutory requirements.
- Generate support for the school by two-way communication with key decision-makers in the school community.
- Work with the governing board and district and local leaders to influence policies that benefit students and support the improvement of teaching and learning.
- Influence and support public policies that ensure the equitable distribution of resources, and support for all subgroups of students.
Open the school to the public and welcome and facilitate constructive conversations about how to improve student learning and achievement.