One Room Schoolhouse

Tucked into the northwest corner of History San Jose sits the One Room Schoolhouse. Santa Clara County elementary school students, while studying local history, use this authentic one-room schoolhouse on a regular basis. Thousands of students participate each year in a hands-on curriculum, developed by local elementary teachers, experiencing what it was like to attend school in the late 1800's.

Built in 1871, Santa Ana School was used as a schoolhouse for grades one through eight from 1872-1967. A total of 54 teachers taught at Santa Ana School. Teacher Elizabeth Gates-Rianda from 1972-1974 used it for the last time as a kindergarten classroom.

The Lurie College of Education Alumni Board raised funds to move the schoolhouse to History San Jose, renovate it, and dedicate it in 1998.

Today it serves as a real life example of local history to elementary students and those who visit the history park and schoolhouse.

Previous Page