For applying to any graduate programs at San Jose State University, please follow the information given by the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) department on the want-to-apply students page.
A list of test requirements for all of the graduate programs on campus can be found online.
- How to apply (Domestic)
- How to apply (International)
- International Admission Information
- GAPE FAQs
- International Student and Scholar Services
An applicant must have a degree equivalent to a four-year U.S. baccalaureate degree in the related field of engineering or other related fields.
English Language Proficiency
An applicant without a U.S. bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree must present scores that meet the university minimum scores for one of the following test:
- TOEFL: 550 (Paper Based), 213 (Computer Based), 80 (Internet Based)
- IELTS: 6.5
- Pearson’s Test of English: 53
For the latest information regarding English-Language Proficiency Exam Requirements, please refer to GAPE - International Applicants page.
Note: SJSU does not accept an “English-medium of instruction” as a substitute for an English-language proficiency exam.
Letters from applicants or institutions will NOT be accepted.
Requests to waive this requirement will only be considered under the following circumstances:
- Received a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution within the U.S.
- Completed 3 years of full-time coursework in a regionally accredited institution within the U.S.
Note: Submit Test Scores [SJSU Institution Code: 4687]
B (3.0) or better. Conditional admissions might be granted for applicants with exceptional background and GPA less than 3.0 but greater than 2.5.
The program admits the most qualified applicants to fill its available space. In other words, an applicant that meets all admission requirements might be denied due to insufficient space.