Full Time Tenure-Track Position
Specialization: Teacher Education K-12
Job Opening ID (JOID): 23383
Rank: Assistant Professor, Tenure-track
* Earned doctorate in K-12 teacher education or a related discipline (e.g., curriculum & instruction, educational psychology) by time of the appointment with a strong background in at least one of the following areas: classroom/action research methods; classroom management; instructional and education technology related fields; assessment; multicultural or psychological foundations; differentiated instruction; special and health education; and other aspects of teacher education or related areas that pertain to school climate and learning in diverse classrooms or high-needs schools
* Awareness of and sensitivity and demonstrated commitment to inclusive education and social justice, access, equity for all students, and the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experience.
* Strong knowledge of current research and best practices in the field of expertise
* Demonstrated potential or evidence of scholarship
* Three years of excellent teaching/supervision (or related) experience in K-12 schools working with and/or teaching English Learners or students with special needs in the general classroom
* Ability to support and sustain collegial and collaborative relationships
* Subject matter expertise (e.g.: art; engineering education; foreign language; language arts/reading/(bilingual) literacy education; math education; music; PE; science education; social science)
* Valid credential in either elementary or secondary teaching
* Proficiency in teaching credential and graduate-level courses in elementary and/or secondary education
* Bilingualism/biliteracy in one or more of the languages in the SJSU service area (e.g., Spanish) and English
* Knowledge of and commitment to integrating social-emotional dimensions of teaching and learning in teaching practices
* Address the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through course materials, teaching strategies, and advisement.
* Teach credential and graduate-level courses in the specialized area in both online and classroom environments as assigned.
* Mentor and advise graduate students on their master’s-level projects
* Participate in local, state, national, and/or international efforts to improve and strengthen K-12 teacher education programs
* Implement national and California teacher credential program standards
* Pursue research funding and contribute to one’s field of expertise
* Actively engage in teaching, research, and professional service at the department, college, and university levels
* Supervise student field experiences
* Cultivate and maintain partner relationships with area school districts
* Participate in program development, assessment, and review to address state and national standards
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Starting Date: August 22, 2016
Eligibility: Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
For full consideration, upload a letter of application, curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts for all graduate degrees, statement of teaching interests/ philosophy, research plans, a sample publication or manuscript that reflects the applicant’s scholarly work, and at least three original letters of reference with contact information by October 31, 2015 at apply.interfolio.com/30662
Please direct questions to:
Dr. Ferdinand Rivera, Chair
Department of Elementary Education
Lurie College of Education
(408) 924-3751, email@example.com.
Please include Job Opening ID (JOID) on all correspondence.
Part Time Teaching Opportunities
The Elementary Education Department is periodically in need of qualified part time lecturers to teach credential and MA courses or supervise student teachers. Course descriptions can be viewed in the SJSU Catalog. If you have a MA, PhD, or EdD in Education or a related field, please send your vita and letter of interest to Dr. Ferdinand Rivera at firstname.lastname@example.org.