Information About Degrees Earned Outside of the US

Applicants must possess the equivalent of a Bachelor's Degree granted by a recognized and accredited post-secondary institution (the equivalent of a total of at least 16 years of academic education). Foreign transcript evaluation is a two part process for individuals who earn their degree outside of the United States. San Jose State University's Graduate Admission and Program Evaluation (GAPE) Department evaluates all foreign transcripts to determine degree equivalency while the California Commission on Teaching Credentialing (CCTC) requires independent evaluation of transcripts via agencies they have approved. Admission to the program is contingent on BOTH SJSU and CCTC validating your foreign degree is equivalent to a U.S. Bachelors or Higher Degree.

Transcript Evaluation Process

San Jose State University/GAPE:

  1. International School Work and Degrees: If you have done post-secondary school work in an institution that is outside of U.S., visit the International Document Requirements page and find the country where the institution you attended is located. The list will detail the exact documents we require and how to submit them to our office by country. Student must follow instructions listed for the particular country, otherwise the documents will be considered unofficial. GAPE website
  • NOTE:Are you an International Applicant? International applicants are all applicants who currently hold or are applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa and currently reside either in the U.S. or abroad. International students must inform Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations of their current VISA status. This is the status at the time of the application. For more information go to the prospective students page on the GAPE website.

California Commission on Teacher Credentialing:

  1. Submit transcripts to one of the approved agencies for evaluation (see #3 for a list of agencies).
  2. Request for two sets transcript evaluation. One for your records and one to submit with your application to the Department. Please check your transcript evaluation and verify that you have an equivalent U.S. Bachelors or Higher Degree before submitting your application. (YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUBMIT THESE TRANSCRIPTS TO THE UNIVERSITY).
  3. Download a list of agencies (PDF) approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for Foreign Transcription Evaluation.