Bilingual Teacher Preparation Program
The Bilingual Teacher Preparation Program Option (BTPP) prepares bilingual teacher candidates to meet the needs of our multilingual and culturally diverse student population. Currently, a large number of children speak a language other than English at home. Bilingual teachers, therefore, are one of the most marketable teachers in the state of California.
SJSU has provided teacher preparation in bilingual education since 1976. Our program was founded on the assumption that an effective classroom teacher is committed to establishing and maintaining the highest level of teaching and learning for all children, and in particular, English learners.
The new Bilingual Authorization replaces the Multiple Subject Teaching Credential with a Bilingual/Crosscultural, Language, and Academic Development (BCLAD/CLAD) emphasis. Our BTPP option prepares teachers who have high expectations for themselves and for the young people they teach. We expect our teacher candidates to be linguistically competent in Spanish and English and to cultivate a practice that is reflective, believing that candidates must consider the implications of their actions and make thoughtful decisions that place the interests of the student at the forefront.
There are two pathways to obtain Bilingual Certification at SJSU. Pre-credential candidates must complete the requirements in Pathway 1 and post-credential candidates must complete the requirements in Pathway 2.
What Makes This Program Unique?
- Learn about different bilingual learning and instruction models
- Learn how to teach children learning English and Spanish
- Work closely with bilingual faculty and mentor teachers
- Be part of a cohort group that practices academic Spanish and develop a long-lasting community of supportive colleagues and friends
- Earn a preliminary Multiple Subject Credential and Bilingual Authorization in three semesters
- Have a greater opportunity to find a K-8 teaching position
Pathways to Bilingual Certification
- Pre-credential Candidate: This pathway is for candidates who wish to obtain a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential with a Spanish Bilingual Authorization. Candidates selecting this option should follow the application process below to be considered for admission to the program.
- Post-credential Candidate: This pathway is for candidates who hold a valid teaching credential and wishes to
add the Spanish Bilingual Authorization. Candidates selecting this program option should contact the program coordinator, see
contact information below.Requirements:
- Valid California Teaching Credential
- Pass the CSET LOTE subtest III (Spanish) - Scores are valid for 5 years.
- 12 units of SJSU coursework: EDTE 162/3 units, EDEL 103/3 units, EDEL 108E/3 units, EDEL 143B/3 units. The courses are taught in a bilingual setting.
Application Process (for Pre-credential Candidates)
- ATTEND A GROUP ADVISEMENT SESSION. These orientation sessions, held twice a month, are required of all students who wish to enroll Multiple Subject Credential Program.
- APPLY TO THE MULIPLE SUBJECT TEACHING CREDENTIAL PROGRAM. Follow the general applicaton for admission to the credential program through the Department of Elementary Education. On the application form, indicate your interest in the Bilingual Teacher Preparation Program.
Candidate Selection Process
- Initial paper screening of all applications reviewed by the Elementary Education Department.
- Candidates who pass paper screening will be interviewed by the BTPP program coordinator.
Participating School Districts
- Campbell Union School District
- Oak Grove School District
- Santa Clara Unified School District
- San Jose Unified School District
- Alum Rock School District
Program Course Schedule (for Pre-credential candidates)
- EDTE 162*: Meeting the Needs of Second-Language Learners (3 units)
- EDEL 103*: Social-Multicultural Foundations of Education (3 units)
- EDEL 108B: Curriculum: Science (3 units)
- EDEL 108C: Curriculum: Social Studies (3 units)
- EDEL 108A*: Curriculum: Reading/Language Arts (6 units)
- EDEL 143A*: Orientation to Student Teaching (5 units)
- EDEL 102: Psychological Foundations of Education (3 units)
- EDEL 108D: Curriculum: Mathematics (3 units)
- EDEL 143B*: Student Teaching: Practicum (10 units) - NOTE: CSET LOTE subtest III is required prior to enrolling in EDEL 143B.Scores are valid for 5 years.
- EDTE 246: Classroom Management and Governance (3 units)
*EDTE 162, EDEL 103, EDEL 108A, EDEL 143A and EDEL 143B are taught in Spanish.
Fall, Spring or Summer Semester
- EDTE 190: Health Education for the Classroom Teacher (3 units)
- EDSE 192A: Including and Supporting Students (3 units)
NOTE: EDTE 190 and EDSE 192A may be taken before or anytime during the program, however ALL must be completed prior to applying for the Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential.
Rocio Dresser, Ed. D.
Sweeney Hall 421