Year Long Residency
The Year-Long Residency Program (YLR) is our newest program option. Similar to the TE Collaborative Residency, YLR is an accelerated one-year residency in which candidates complete two semesters plus summer courses of concurrent university study and field practice. All coursework is in the evenings twice a week, and candidates' residency is three mornings and one afternoon in the Fall semester and full-time in Spring. Fall admission and a summer start are required. Financial Aid is not available for summer session. Participating districts include Berryessa, Alum Rock, San José Unified, Menlo Park and Rocketship Charter.
What Makes This Program Unique?
- Be on the district's fast track for obtaining a first year teaching position in one of our participating districts.
- Earn your preliminary Multiple Subject teaching credential in just one year (summer session and two semesters).
- Participate in program as part of a cohort group, developing a long-lasting community of supportive colleagues and friends.
- ATTEND A GROUP ADVISEMENT SESSION. These orientation sessions, held twice a month, are required of all students who wish to enroll Multiple Subject Credential Program.
- APPLY TO THE MULIPLE SUBJECT TEACHING CREDENTIAL PROGRAM. Follow the general applicaton for admission to the credential program through the Department of Elementary Education. On the application form, indicate your interest in the YLR Program.
Candidate Selection Process
- Initial paper screening of all applications will be reviewed by the Elementary Education Department.
- Candidates who pass paper screening will interviewed by the YLR program coordinator.
Program Course Schedule (subject to change)
Summer Prior to Fall Semester
- EDTE 162: Meeting the Needs of Second-Language Learners (3 units)
- EDEL 103: Social-Multicultural Foundations of Education (3 units)
- EDEL 108C: Curriculum: Social Studies (3 units)
NOTE: Financial Aid not available in summer for incoming Fall students.
- EDEL 108A: Curriculum: Reading/Language Arts PART ONE (3 units)
- EDEL 108B: Curriculum: Science (3 units)
- EDEL 108D: Curriculum: Mathematics (3 units)
- EDEL 102: Psychological Foundations of Education(3 units)
- EDEL 143A: Orientation to Student Teaching (5 units)
- EDEL 108A: Curriculum: Reading/Language Arts PART TWO (3 units)
- EDTE 246: Classroom Management and Governance (3 units)
- EDEL 143B: Student Teaching: Practicum (10 units)
NOTE: The courses below may be taken before or anytime during the program, however ALL must be completed prior to applying for the Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential.
- EDTE 190: Health Education for the Classroom Teacher (3 units)
- EDSE 192A: Including and Supporting Students (3 units)
Participating School Districts (subject to change)
- Alum Rock Union School District
- Menlo Park School District
- Berryessa Union School District
- Rocketship Charter Schools