Advanced Teaching Certificate in Common Core Mathematics (K-8)
The Advanced Teaching Certificate in Common Core Mathematics (K-8) is designed for practicing teachers and mathematics coaches. Courses focus on developing the mathematical knowledge for teaching (K-8) Common Core Standards and Mathematical Practices. Additional emphasis will be placed on pedagogical strategies to foster motivation, engagement, and the development of academic language in mathematics. Summary of the program.
Courses may be taken individually or in combination, with three of the four courses (9 units) required to earn an Advanced Teaching Certificate in Common Core Mathematics (K-8). Nine units may be transferred into a Master of Arts in Education with a concentration in Curriculum and Instruction.
- Practicing Teachers
- Multiple Subject Credential Program Graduates
- Single Subject Credential Program Graduates teaching Middle School
- Teachers considering a Masters in Education. Up to 9 graduate units may be transferred to a MA in Education: Curriculum and Instruction
Goals and Objectives
- Increase teachers’ mathematical knowledge for teaching newly adopted mathematics Common Core Standards and Practices (Grades K-8).
- Increase teachers’ use of “high leverage” mathematical practices to foster student learning (Ball, 2011).
- Increase teachers’ ability to integrate mathematics instruction with the development of students’ academic content language.
- Increase teachers’ ability to foster students’ resilience and productive disposition towards learning and doing mathematics.
Courses & Dates
EDTE 232 – Summer 2013 Mathematics: Teaching Common Core, Grades 4-8 (June 18-21, 24-26, 9:00AM–4:00PM)
EDTE 233 – Fall 2013 – Spring 2014 Mathematics Seminar: Common Core, Grades 4-8 (3 unit hybrid / monthly evening seminar)
EDTE 230 – Summer 2014 Mathematics: Teaching Common Core, Grades K-3 (June: 7 days 9:00AM–4:00PM)
EDTE 231 – Fall 2014 – Spring 2015 Mathematics Seminar: Common Core, Grades K-3 (3 unit hybrid / monthly evening seminar)
Estimated cost per course $1050
Patricia Swanson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Elementary Education
For more information, contact Dr. Patty Swanson at email@example.com