Orientation to Student Teaching
In order to meet a new state stipulation from CCTC, the Elementary Education Department will need to change the schedule design for EDEL 143A. Starting Fall 2011, EDEL 143A/part time student teaching schedule will be as follows:
- 5-unit, semester long class
- Weeks 1-15: Three consecutive days a week, 2 mornings and 1 full day.
- The actual days of the week will be determined by the supervisor, using the school's and student teachers' schedules as well as the cooperating teacher's preferences as a guide.
- Weekly seminar
- 1 placement per semester
- Specific course assignments outlined in Field Experience Guide and addressed by supervisor in seminar
Purpose: Become familiar with duties/responsibilities of classroom teacher. Teach beginning reading, plan/teach one-on-one, small groups and whole class.
- Based on availability in accordance with Elementary Education Department's mission to provide student teachers with ethnic, social, linguistic and economic diversity.
- Dependent on SJSU arrangements with school districts and the optimal clustering of student teachers in districts and schools.
- Cannot be placed at school where a relative attends or works
- Subject to change due to circumstances beyond our control
- Attend a MANDATORY Student Teacher Orientation normally scheduled the semester prior to your planned EDEL143A semester.
- 143A Enrollment Forms are submitted to ELED office, SH305 as instructed at the Student Teacher Orientation.
- Course code, Student Teacher Orientation details, and other pertinent information will be emailed to the email address provided to us on your enrollment form.
- 143A Enrollment Form
- *CSET Scores (all 3 Multiple Subject sections passed)
- *Certificate of Clearance or 30-day Substitute Permit
- *Prerequisites: EDTE 162 - must show grade or current enrollment
- *Concurrent Enrollment Required: EDEL 108A - must show concurrent enrollment with the 143A semester
- TB Test Results - current (within 3 yrs.) negative results
*Requirements will be verified by the Elementary Education Office in SH 305 before 143A enrollment is processed.