Orientation to Student Teaching
In order to meet a new state stipulation from CCTC, the Elementary Education Department will need to change the schedule design for EDEL 143A. Starting Fall 2011, EDEL 143A/part time student teaching schedule will be as follows:
- 5-unit, semester long class
- Weeks 1-12: Three consecutive mornings a week
- Weeks 13 -15: One full day and the following morning. The actual days of the week will be determined by the supervisor, using the school's and student teachers' schedules as well as the cooperating teacher's preferences as a guide.
- Weekly seminar
- 1 placement per semester
- Specific course assignments outlined in Field Experience Guide and addressed by supervisor in seminar
Purpose: Become familiar with duties/responsibilities of classroom teacher. Teach beginning reading, plan/teach one-on-one, small groups and whole class.
- Based on availability in accordance with Elementary Education Department's mission to provide student teachers with ethnic, social, linguistic and economic diversity.
- Dependent on SJSU arrangements with school districts and the optimal clustering of student teachers in districts and schools.
- Cannot be placed at school where a relative attends or works
- Subject to change due to circumstances beyond our control
- Attend a MANDATORY Student Teacher Orientation normally scheduled the semester prior to your planned EDEL143A semester.
- 143A Enrollment Forms are submitted to ELED office, SH305 as instructed at the Student Teacher Orientation.
- Course code, Student Teacher Orientation details, and other pertinent information will be emailed to the email address provided to us on your enrollment form.
- 143A Enrollment Form
- *CSET Scores (all 3 sections passed)
- *Certificate of Clearance or 30-day Substitute Permit
- *Prerequisites: EDTE 162 - must show grade or current enrollment
- *Concurrent Enrollment Required: EDEL 108A - must show concurrent enrollment with the 143A semester
- TB Test Results - current (within 3 yrs.) negative results
*Requirements will be verified by the Elementary Education Office in SH 305 before 143A enrollment is processed.