Applications are accepted online only. To apply go to: http://www.sjsu.edu/gape/prospective_students/.
Fall 2012 MA Admission: 2013
Those wishing to apply for a 2012-2013 Graduate Assistantship need to submit an additional application by April 2 2012, including having letters of recommendation sent directly to the Graduate Coordinator: Dr. Noelle Brada-Williams Mailing Address: San Jose State University, One Washington Square Hall, San Jose CA 95192-0090
Requirements for Admission to Classified Standing
To be admitted to Classified Standing in the M.A. program, you must have
- completed a minimum of 24 semester units of undergraduate English-major course work with a grade point average of 3.0 or better.
- a score from the verbal/writing portion of the GRE
- a writing sample (sent directly to Coordinator of the MA Program in the English Department,
SJSU, San Jose CA 95192-0090)
- We recommend sending a paper you have written for a class that shows your mastery of written English, your ability to analyze literature, and, ideally, your research skills in support of that analysis. Most submissions range between 6 and 25 pages in length.
- list of references on the online application
- foreign students must have a TOEFL score of at least 610 (253 on Computer-based test and 102 on internet-based test)
If you have completed fewer units, you may be admitted to Conditional Standing (see below), but you will need to complete the required number of units and achieve the required grade point average before you can take graduate-level classes or begin work toward the 30-unit M.A. program. When you are ready to be advanced to Classified Standing you must meet with the M.A. Advisor to have the change made official.
Requirements for Admission to Conditionally Classified Standing
Students who do not qualify for Classified standing but who meet University requirements for graduate admission and whose past performance gives promise of satisfactory completion of requirements for admission to Classified standing may, with the approval of the departmental graduate committee, be admitted as Conditionally Classified in the M.A. English program.
Requirements for Admission to Candidacy for the M.A. in English
Admission to candidacy for the Master's degree in English requires favorable action by the departmental graduate committee and by the University Graduate Committee. Applicants will observe the stipulations relative to such items as transfer credit, time limit, completion of the Graduate English Writing Requirement and scholarship stated in the San Jose State University Catalog. They should particularly note that fitness for advanced study and professional training, not merely high grades or the satisfaction of formal requirements, is the prime requisite for graduate work.