M.F.A. Graduation Requirements
A candidate for the MFA in Creative Writing must meet the following requirements in order to graduate from the program:
- Successfully complete the 48-unit MFA curriculum. A maximum of 9 semester hours of graduate course credit may be transferred from another institution. A maximum of 12 hours of upper-division undergraduate courses may count toward the degree.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in all graduate coursework.
- Complete a book-length thesis manuscript of literary merit and publishable quality. The manuscript must meet the requirements of the Office of Graduate Studies and Research. For detailed instructions, see the MFA Thesis Guidelines.
- Pass the MFA Comprehensive Examination during the penultimate semester of coursework.
- Publicly read from and defend thesis manuscript.
- Demonstrate preparation through the intermediate level of a foreign language or proficiency therein.
- All requirements must be completed within seven calendar years.