Requirements for Admission
Photo: Former graduate student, Zoha Lambert investigating the complexities of redwood forest canopy structure
“I think one of the main attributes of the program is its people, students and faculty. The collaborative spirit of most involved were a source of inspiration for me.”
— Vagelis Vassos, Former Graduate Student
Contact the Graduate Program Coordinator
For more information about the Master of Science degree in Environmental Studies, please contact the Graduate Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
The following list describes the minimum requirements for admission to the Environmental
Studies Department. Please check the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) website for university-level requirements.
- An undergraduate degree in Environmental Studies or related field from an accredited institution.
- Students who have completed a major in another field may be accepted as "conditionally classified." Conditionally classified students will be required to complete prerequisites or meet other conditions before they are able to apply for classified standing. A list of prerequisite courses or other conditions will be provided by the Graduate Coordinator at the time of acceptance to the program, and will be completed with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
- A minimum 3.0 (B) overall grade point average for the last 60 semester units of academic study at an accredited institution.
- An English-language proficiency exam is required for all students who graduated from
a higher education institution outside of the U.S. All test scores must be less than
two years old. Test scores must be sent directly from the testing office to San José
State University (SJSU Institution Code is 4687; Department Code is 0502).
- Exams accepted:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): acceptable scores are 580 (paper-based), 237 (computer-based), 92 (internet-based) for foreign students
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Exams accepted:
- Research interests that complement those of existing faculty in the Environmental
Studies Department at SJSU.
- Capability, in the opinion of the Graduate Committee, of successfully completing the degree requirements.