Forms and links
Note: One of the criteria is that students must enroll in a California State University as a first time freshman for the fall semester 2013 to be eligible for this scholarship. Click on the above link to view application information
The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) is designed for undergraduate students that are considered California residents or AB540 students with a history of low-income (as determined by the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application) and from an educationally disadvantaged background. Students must be the in the first generation of their family to earn a four year college degree. The students' parents cannot have earned a Bachelor's degree in any country.
Income criteria is calculated by the California State University and can be found on their income criteria page.
The Guardian Scholars program is specifically designed to help former foster youth (those who have been in foster care at some point at age 13 or older) through various retention efforts. Once accepted into EOP, eligible students that have indicated on their EOP application that they are former foster youth will be contacted with further information. Applicants to EOP that are former foster youth do not need to report parental education level. You can refer to the Guardian Scholars page for eligibility criteria.
- Apply for Fall 2013 SJSU Admission before the November 30, 2012 deadline via CSU Mentor (www.csumentor.edu)
- Once you apply for SJSU admission, the EOP application will be available to you (http://www.csumentor.edu/planning/eop)
- The FAFSA and CA Dream Act application priority application period is open from January 1, 2013 - March 2, 2013 (www.fafsa.ed.gov or www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp)
- Acceptance into SJSU does guarantee entry into EOP
December 15, 2012 - EOP Application Deadline
- All incoming freshmen and transfer students must submit a complete Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Application by the deadline via CSU Mentor. The application and general information can be found at http://www.csumentor.edu/Planning/ and http://secure.csumentor.edu/admissionapp/eop_apply.asp
- All incoming transfer students from the California Community College system must submit a complete EOP application and follow the same procedures as all other applicants regardless if they were a prior EOP&S student. EOP and EOP&S are two entirely different programs.
- If you are a returning EOP SJSU student or a CSU transfer, please contact EOP directly for application/recertification information. You have must have been an EOP student at the start of your CSU undergraduate program in order to be eligible for EOP at another CSU.
February 1, 2013 - EOP Recommendation Forms Deadline
- You must have two (2) recommendation forms submitted on your behalf to complete your
- It is the applicants' responsibility to follow up with the recommenders to ensure the recommendations were submitted. You may check the status of your recommendation requests/letters submitted through the CSUMentor application manager. When you receive a confirmation e-mail of a recommendation letter that has been submitted on your behalf, be sure to save that e-mail and any other communication you receive during the application process
- If a recommender cannot provide the recommendation by the February 1, 2013 deadline, the applicant should ask another qualified person (not a family member nor friend) to submit a recommendation on their behalf. You can find the form here 2013-2014 Recommendation form
- Recommendations received after February 1, 2013 will NOT be accepted.
February 1, 2013 - EOP FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application Priority Deadline
- The FAFSA and the CA Dream Act application periods are open from January 1, 2013-March 2, 2013. In order to receive the best financial aid that you are eligible for, you are highly encouraged to submit your FAFSA or CA Dream Act application as early as possible!
- The FAFSA is required for all EOP applicants for the 2013-2014 Academic year.
- AB540 students must fill out the CA Dream Act Application instead of the FAFSA for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- Priority consideration for EOP application processing will be given to those with their FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application complete and submitted by February 1, 2013.
This form is to be used if you do not meet the residency requirements, but have attended a California high school for a minimum of three years and have graduated from CA high school. Please see California High School Non-resident Waiver Guidelines for more information.
AB540 students are eligible to apply for EOP beginning with the FAll 2013 term. You must have the AB540 exemption form on file with the university in order to verify your status.
Prospective AB540 students must:
- Apply to SJSU via CSUMentor by November 30, 2012 (www.csumentor.edu)
- Apply to EOP via CSUMentor by December 15, 2012 (www.csumentor.edu/planning/eop)
- Submit two (2) EOP Recommendation forms by February 1, 2013
- Submit the CA Dream Act Application by February 1, 2013 for EOP Priority processing (final deadline is March 2, 2013) www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp
- Submit the AB540 Exemption Form in the Spring if you will be graduating in June 2013
- AB540 Tuition Exemption Form
- If you have already graduated high school prior to 2013, submit your AB540 Form along with an official high school transcript
- ELM/EPT - Early 2013
- Sign up for and complete the CSU required ELM/EPT. Completing your testing earlier is highly advisable. The SJSU Admission Office will send information after you submit your applicaiton.
- EOP Status - April 2013
- You will be contacted via MySJSU regarding your EOP status in early April 2013.
- Your university 'Intent to Enroll', submission of the EOP Student Agreement and your attendance at EOP First Contact will confirm your EOP acceptance and participation.
- Accepted students in EOP are required to attend First Contact. Transfer students typically attend in May and Freshmen attend in June. Plan accordingly because First Contact is a mandatory event!
- The EOP First Contact program does NOT take the place of university Orientation.
- Summer Bridge P.A.T.H. 2013: EOP will identify candidates and contact you if you are selected to participate in the EOP Summer Bridge Program. Typically, participation is based on your scores from the ELM/EPT. Students with the greatest academic need will be invited.
- Intent to Enroll - May 1, 2013
- Whether you are an incoming freshmen student, transfer student (CCC or CSU), or a returning SJSU student you must submit your 'Intent to Enroll' via NextSteps.
- You must also pay your orientation fee by May 1st.
- SJSU Orientation is mandatory for all Freshmen and Transfer students and returning students.
- Transfer orientation is typically held in April, May or June. Freshmen Orientation Dates are typically in June and July. You MUST attend an orientation in order to enroll at San Jose State University.
- EOP Community Living Options
- Residents who are part of the SJSU EOP program have an opportunity to live together on designated floors in the residence halls.
New Freshmen 2013-2014:
There will be an EOP floor available for new freshmen in Joe West Hall on one wing of one floor. You will be able to choose a single, double, or triple room occupancy. An RA and one EOP Graduate student will also reside on the floor. Please see the Housing website for more information on Joe West Hall and floor plans http://www.housing.sjsu.edu/housingoptions/joewest/index.html
Housing On-line application instructions for new EOP students
EOP Freshmen students who are new to SJSU and want to live in Campus Housing on the EOP floor in Joe West Hall need to do the following:
- Go to the Housing website at www.housing.sjsu.edu
- Under "Housing Options" at the top of the page, click on the link for "Joe West Hall Classics"
- Click on the "On line application" link on the left hand side of the page
- This should take you to the Housing on line application
- Click on the top button that says : "I have never lived on campus and would like to apply for: 2013/2014 Academic Year or Spring 2013 New Applicants
- This brings you to the Housing Application. Please make sure to fill out all required areas
- For the first item, Application Period, please choose "2013 Joe West/Bricks (Frosh Classics) Academic Year" from the drop down menu
- Answer all questions, for the question about EOP and living on the EOP floor, please answer "yes."
- Once you are done with the application, please print out the license materials and return them to the Housing office (we need the original with original signature), along with the $600 initial payment.
Once you have applied, check your MySJSU messages at least once a week. Information that is essential for you to know will be sent to you, including all deadlines for admissions, EOP, orientation, enrollment, financial aid and on-campus housing. Be sure to comply with all university deadlines, and ask questions if you do not understand what is being requested from you.