Guardian Scholars Program
The SJSU Guardian Scholars Program (GSP), part of the Educational Opportunity Program, is committed to helping students exiting the foster care system, wards of the court, under legal guardianship or unaccompanied homeless youth.
Our mission is to guide determined and ambitious Guardian Scholars through their academic and personal journeys by providing comprehensive support and offering opportunities:
· To make connections with other Guardian Scholars
· Introduce you to the network of available campus resources
· To connect with community support and service allies
· Understand the positive and negative impact of decisions
· Build meaningful interpersonal relationships
· Enhance your financial independence
The GSP team is here to offer help and support on your path to success at San Jose State University. We work in collaboration with many of the student support programs on campus and community services off campus. We have been successful in supporting GSP students through ongoing coaching and mentoring, building relationships and a social community with other students that have similar backgrounds and life experiences, and helping students chart a course toward graduation.
· Priority registration at the university
· Guidance in building both your personal and professional network
· Assistance in developing university level time management skills to attain your goals
· Deepen connections with other Guardian Scholars through purposeful learning/social activities
· Maintain meaningful and positive relationships
· Personal counseling
· Stress management strategies
· Year round on-campus housing options
· Explore alternative housing options in the surrounding area
· Tuition assistance through scholarships specifically for Guardian Scholars
· Book vouchers to offset textbook cost
· Create a budget plan
· Emergency financial funding
SJSU’s Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) serves as the main resource for Guardian Scholars, offering ongoing services such as academic advising, tutoring, mentoring, workshops and social events. In addition, EOP advisors will link you to other critical services available from departments and programs throughout the university that are prepared to serve the unique needs of former foster youth.
Even if you are not a Guardian Scholar, but a former foster youth with questions or in need of assistance, please feel free to contact us!
Assistant Director for Guardian Scholars