I Can, I Will
I Can/ I Will is a First-Year Experience Program focused on increasing the retention and graduation rates of African-American and Latino males in the Educational Opportunity Program at San Jose State University. Participants are empowered through meticulously designed weekly meetings with trained peer mentors who provide motivation, accountability, a process for engagement with the campus, assistance in developing a "road map to college," and a sense of community.
- Assist students with transition to and navigation of SJSU
- Provide students a space for self-reflection to gain a deeper sense of self and why they are seeking a higher education degree
- Empower students to strive for academic excellence through self-ownership of education and a system of accountability
- Create a bridge to EOP and campus services
- Provide mentorship, positive role models, and a community of support and connection
How it Works:
Before the beginning of the school year, incoming freshmen and transfers with a GPA of less than 3.40 from their previous institution get paired with an I Can, I Will mentor. Students with GPAs higher than a 3.40 can opt into the program as well. Once the school year starts, students will meet with their mentors on a regular basis and attend social and educational events throughout the semester.
"My mentor is my role model. Seeing that he is able to accomplish good things makes me think I can too." - Deion Early
"My mentor seemed like an older brother to me because we could relate to each other and were able to talk on a personal level." - Byron Munoz
"At first I was shy but my mentor instilled confidence which allowed me to break out of my comfort zone and be willing to ask for help." - Ari Pimentel
Please email us email@example.com
Note: Students placed into the program must attend all required meetings and events to avoid being placed on EOP probation.